Make
Ford
Model
Mustang GT
Year
Miles
Engine
4.6L
Hi first time trying this so here goes does anyone have or know the pin layout for the gt traction internals. I pretty much broke every wire trying to get that snot off the circuit board found out later that your supposed to soak it in phosphoric acid for an hr would actually like to try and fix this POS unit if possible

Thanks
Robby

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
Wow, your first try here and you hit us with something like this! I don't have any knowledge of that specific board, but do have a lot of experience with electronics and PCBs in general. My first question is: why were you intent on stripping off the conformal-coating? Is the board in need of repairs in addition to the damage you did?

grcauto

Hi first time trying this so here goes does anyone have or know the pin layout for the gt traction internals. I pretty much broke every wire trying to get that snot off the circuit board found out later that your supposed to soak it in phosphoric acid for an hr would actually like to try and fix this POS unit if possible

Thanks
Robby
Wow, were you trying to get your traction control to work or to disable it? Probably the best bet is to try a company that does module programming and see if they may have a printout of that board. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. You may need to visit a salvage yard and get another board

Wow, your first try here and you hit us with something like this! I don't have any knowledge of that specific board, but do have a lot of experience with electronics and PCBs in general. My first question is: why were you intent on stripping off the conformal-coating? Is the board in need of repairs in addition to the damage you did?

Lol well i need to get the conformal-coating(aka snot lol) off because it wasn't working and from reading a bunch of mustang forums the abs module always breaks one of the little .0002" thick wires causing it not to work i was going to replace and or resolder them back on but that conformal-coating wouldn't come off with nothing i hit it with brake cleaner, electronics cleaner, wd40, airo kroil, hence why it looks the way it does now the board is fine just need to reconnect the wires

Wow, were you trying to get your traction control to work or to disable it? Probably the best bet is to try a company that does module programming and see if they may have a printout of that board. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. You may need to visit a salvage yard and get another board
I'm trying to fix my abs this car dont stop worth a €£@☆ without it and Yeah I'm way ahead on that one managed to pull one of these rare gems from a freshly scrapped one but low and behold in true mustang abs fashion that one dont work either (shocking i know) kind of expected as much so i decided to try and fix the original one but as the picture shows it hasn't gone according to plan and decided to try my luck here on this forum

grcauto

I'm trying to fix my abs this car dont stop worth a €£@☆ without it and Yeah I'm way ahead on that one managed to pull one of these rare gems from a freshly scrapped one but low and behold in true mustang abs fashion that one dont work either (shocking i know) kind of expected as much so i decided to try and fix the original one but as the picture shows it hasn't gone according to plan and decided to try my luck here on this forum
Can you scan the ABS module? Should be coding if it's problematic.

No i can't scan it i keep getting the can't connect to abs module fault and if i am following you're train of thought here yes i checked the harness pin by pin i managed to get all those prints the wires and wheel sensors are all good and there is no way i can afford the $800 ford wants just to tell me that the module is bad. I can send it out (well maybe the one i didnt destroy yet) for repair just wanted to see if i could do it i just found out way to late that i need phosphoric acid to get that stuff off. The sad part there is i have access to that exact acid smh

grcauto

No i can't scan it i keep getting the can't connect to abs module fault and if i am following you're train of thought here yes i checked the harness pin by pin i managed to get all those prints the wires and wheel sensors are all good and there is no way i can afford the $800 ford wants just to tell me that the module is bad. I can send it out (well maybe the one i didnt destroy yet) for repair just wanted to see if i could do it i just found out way to late that i need phosphoric acid to get that stuff off. The sad part there is i have access to that exact acid smh
There's a diagnostic to find that problem. I assume you have a dvom and know how to use it. I'm pretty sure I can find the info for troubleshooting the system if you are interested in pursuing that. If you could not connect to either module you probably have an issue with the wiring for the bus. Can you communicate with other modules?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
First, that module you snotted out isn't worth the attention. I would try to connect the other module you got from the salavge yard and post back the exact codes you are getting if any. If no communication there, then maybe it is not the module.

I am assuming this is the unit you want to repair? Yes?

Screenshot (265).png

There's a diagnostic to find that problem. I assume you have a dvom and know how to use it. I'm pretty sure I can find the info for troubleshooting the system if you are interested in pursuing that. If you could not connect to either module you probably have an issue with the wiring for the bus. Can you communicate with other modules?

Yes i can connect to everything but the abs i can even run the koah (not sure if that acronym is right from memory) but the live tests where the dvom takes over and revs the engine ect

billr

wrench
Staff member
I gotta say... if the original problem was the car not stopping well, that can be cured by just removing the ABS. Avoid all this fancy BS. I really think those type modules are, essentially, not economical to repair. You don't even know that the one destroyed *only* had a broken lead, do you?

First, that module you snotted out isn't worth the attention. I would try to connect the other module you got from the salavge yard and post back the exact codes you are getting if any. If no communication there, then maybe it is not the module.

I am assuming this is the unit you want to repair? Yes?

View attachment 10229
Yes that looks like mine and i have the salvaged one in the car now and i can't connect to that one either not that i really expected it to since they all break the same way and theres a million ebay posts for repair service for these units. I did check the wiring to the module this morning it all checked out good. I didnt damaged the board i just dont know which pin goes to which part of the board since my pokeing and peeling of the gel probably broke them all. if i know that i can fix it i have the orginal soaking in acid as i type and will have a better idea in an hr when the gel is gone

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I second Billr, first thing I usually do to any car I buy with ABS is disable it. I live in snow 7-8 months out of a year, and ABS just sucks when your always on ice and snow.

But with newer cars, you can't do that anymore as often the PCM will flash the check engine light also and sometimes go into a form of limp in mode. But this is a 2000, so no worries there.