03 Accord Starting issues

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by poprocksncoke, Jan 23, 2017.

1. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

I think Dan is saying the ignition switch is a very strong possibility, as he has replaced several failed ones. Still... I would use a meter to confirm.

2. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

[​IMG] When the key is turned to the "CRANK" position, black wire/with white tracer is used to send power from the ignition switch to the rest of the starter circuit.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  3. poprocksncoke

poprocksncoke Jr. Member

Well I changed the ignition switch and the car started. It worked for a couple weeks then wouldnt start. Left it sitting for a week and was going to work on it again but the car started up, drove for two days and it wouldnt start again. Towed the car home, went to look at it later the next day and it started right up again. Discouraging!!!

4. billr

Clarify, again: this is now "intermittent", but is it intermittent "no crank", or intermittent "cranks but no fire"? If it is "no crank", you want to add a (long) temporary wire to the small terminal on the starter. Bring the other end of that wire up near the battery + terminal, strip the end (and insulate) the bare wire. The next time it won't crank, you measure voltage at that wire, while trying to crank. If the voltage isn't battery voltage (~12V), then you touch that bare wire end to the battery + term and see if that makes it crank

5. poprocksncoke

poprocksncoke Jr. Member

It is a "no crank". When was trying to figure out the initial problem I ran a wire from the solenoid and touched the positive of the battery and it started, didnt get a reading however.

6. billr

OK, then put that wire back on and carry a meter with you until this is resolved. You have to be ready to test whenever the no-start pops up, and it may save you another tow...

7. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Do as Bill states and if you have several more no crank issues and they all then start with the jumper wire you have a good starter and solenoid. Now the problem must be traced back to a possible neutral safety switch or some other part of the circuit.