05 Honda CRV - Left Headlamp Out

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by calbanese, Nov 29, 2017.

1. calbanese

calbanese Newbie

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Honda
    MODEL:CRV
    YEAR: 05
    MILES: 179000
    ENGINE: 4 cyl
    DESCRIBE ISSUE.... As I was driving, I noticed my left front low beam went out. I replaced the Bulbs but the left low beam was still out. I checked the fuses in the engine compartment and under the steering wheel. I switched the fuses for the headlights and nothing changed. My left headlight is still out but my right side works. Seems simple or is it? Appreciate any help, thanks!!!

2. jd

jd Hero Member

Hopefully, a member here will post a Wiring Diagram that we can look at. On another brand of import about that age, I found that the various functions like High, Low, Fog Lamps only on Low, Daytime Running... are managed by switching not just the Hot (+12 volt) but also the Ground (-12 volt) parts of the circuit. As I recall there were two fuses per lamp times two lamps, also a couple Relays.

My problem turned out to be that the owner replaced the lamp SOCKETS and wired them wrong. Are the sockets on your CRV in good shape? Making good contact?

3. jd

jd Hero Member

Up this morning early, looking at RockAuto... 2005 CR-V uses two headlamp relays, designated Driver and Passenger Side. With different part numbers. They appear alike from pictures, but the application list is different. Driver Side RY302 fits many makes and models, Passenger Side RY1527 fits only a few. Rock offers two brands of Driver Side Relays, both under $10. If you can ID the relay and remove it, you can check it with a couple test leads and a test light or meter.

4. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

5. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

6. jd

jd Hero Member

I read the link and it seems problem could be ground and maybe up in the column. Read the link carefully. Remember none of us can see your car even if they've worked on others.

7. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    It is imperative to know if your honda CRV has USA daytime running lights or not. Because wiring is quite different. In the model with USA DRL, it would be near impossible for just the right side to work and not the left due to a bad/burnt steering column connection. It is not wired that way.

The headlamp switch simply gives voltage to the TWO headlight relays for both side a same time and headlamps for low beams each ground out behind bumper.

So if a burnt connection at the steering column did occur, both high low beams for both sides would go out at same time since only one wire energizes those relays via the blue/red wire.. The dimmer switch does the rest for low to high beam selection through the MCU (multiplex control unit) thus providing a ground path for those high beams there.

Here is the wiring for the USA model since I see you are from virginia. To enlarge the wiring, just click on the image. Screenshot (127).png

8. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Screenshot (128).png SO, if you are getting voltage to the low beam left side wire AT THE SOCKET, red/yel wire, and ground to chassis is good for blk wire of same connector, then it must be the bulb itself.

So check voltage by simply replacing the headlamp with a voltmeter and if you have 12v there then you know the juice is there. Must be corrosion, loose socket connectors or a faulty low beam bulb. Quite simple system. The canadian model is a bit more complex.

If for some reason your ground is no good, the G301 choke point for ground is next to the impact sensor left side behind bumper. About 6-7 grounds choke into there. Above is a picture of where it is located.

9. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    If for some other reason you have a canadian model, that should be clear enough by the kilometer per hour designation on your dash. Here is me laughing at my own pitiful attempt at humor. If that is the case, I will provide the wiring for that and also the reason why that post mobile Dan linked to may be a reason why only the left side low beam may go out. But as I wrote above, on the USA model, I cannot see how that could happen without losing the whole left side entirely either by way of blown fuse or faulty relay.

I hope I was clear in my advice and hope you get her done.

10. calbanese

calbanese Newbie

I'll check it tomorrow and post back what I find. Not a Canadian model and there are no daytime running lights installed. Almost seems like it has to be a wiring problem. I swapped the bulbs with good bulbs. I'll get a voltmeter on it and let you all know this weekend. Thanks so much for the responses and diagrams.

11. jd

jd Hero Member

If you test with a meter, please repeat with a Test Light. There's an "ice pick" version pictured above. I'd actually like to suggest you wire up a backup bulb, stop light bulb, etc. to provide a load at least half what a 55W headlight takes. Then repeat your testing and see if your "OK" circuit will actually light a bulb