Make
gmc
Model
savana 2500
Year
Miles
Engine
v8
helping a friend out ,ign tumbler froze up so he decided to drill out big mistake ,after he got the last bits out tried to start with a screwdriver
eng starts then dies , dealer said that keys are not chiped ,also after market alarm installed, bypassed fuel relay,pump runs but still starts and dies

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah, the antitheft is on.

The ignition can be bypassed with a resistor on yellow wire. By drilling out the tumbler, the ignition is not allowing the circuit to close, the antitheft module is not allowing. Only way is to fool the theft module.

My best bet would be to buy a new tumbler and get it coded, or buy one with keys already coded with tumbler off e-bay or other, such as this kit for example.
https://www.gmpartsdepot.ca/p/GMC__...MIh_mV5IXv2gIVky-BCh22SAOREAkYASABEgLFuvD_BwE

However, if when drilling the tumbler, he wreaked the passlock sensor, then this is going to get alot more expensive such as replacing the whole ignition unit

https://www.1aauto.com/ignition-loc...MIh_mV5IXv2gIVky-BCh22SAOREAkYAiABEgLppfD_BwE

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Then the whole unit needs to programmed to the antitheft module or you can attempt the bypass I suggested with a resistor in series in the yellow wire. Essentially, your replacing the passlock sensor and fooling the VTD module into thinking it is still the original one there. At this point, you could start the car with anything now. However, COPs frown greatly upon a car that starts with a screwdriver.

That is a hit and miss game, as the resistance of the module is unknown. I have done many of these models, and usually always find a resistance that works, so you will need to buy a kit of assorted resistors. From 500ohms to 13k ohms.

This is time consuming and sometimes you end up need to get towed to dealer anyways.

But it is doable. Since you can't measure what resistance you need since the tumbler is destroyed. But if He still has his old key, then just replacing the tumbler (which will need to be coded to his original key if he has not lost it) or if in case the pass lock sensor got destroyed in the process of drilling, (which I heavily suspect) the the tumbler casing will also need to be replaced. The bypass may not be necessary if the old key is still available and coded and passlock sensor is ok. .

Here is a video of 2006 full size truck yellow wire bypass to help you understand what my poor english is lacking as I am french.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
In the video, his info is misleading as he says the resistance is in the key. It is not, it is in the passlock sensor.

So I heavily suspect the passlock sensor was destroyed in the drilling process, and you will see why with the pictures I provided from my alldata data base.

This is where a bypass will be needed, and you will have to try several resistors to find the same one the VTD module (antitheft module) was initially paired with.

In the following picture, #1 is your passlock sensor which houses the resistor. It is located straight in the tumbler, and 99% of the times it gets drilled, that sensor is destroyed and then hell breaks loose on you, or he.

2nd following snapshot describes why I say the guy is misinformed, but his video is acurate in how to bypass. But the resistor is NOT in the key, it is in the passlock sensor. Screenshot (197).png Screenshot (198).png