07' Sentra Clicking Noise

yeowguy

I have a 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S and it has begun making a constant clicking noise while driving. You can't really hear it at higher speeds. But you can hear it at low speeds and can hear it whether you are turning or just going straight. I jacked the car up and turned the wheels, and can not get it to make the noise while jacked up so I know it's not a bearing. Then when I put it back down and drive it....it makes it again. My thoughts are maybe a CV Joint? I looked at all the CV boots and they are all still in tact so I am unsure if that is the case. I also notice, however I think it may have always done this, it makes a knocking sound when turning from right back to left or vise versa if I am at a stop or very low speed. Any thoughts?

billr

wrench
Staff member
I assume you have looked carefully for rocks or nails in all tire treads, right? When you say it may have "always" done this, do you mean since it was new, or just since you first acquired it?

yeowguy

Thanks for the response Bill. I did not look through the tires for anything in them. I will check that next though. I will say I also got 4 new tires just last week. The tire pressure light is on, but when I check all the tires with my gauge all 4 are at 33psi except one is at 35. I may have heard the knocking before as in since I've had it. It does not knock when you are driving normally around corners and turns. Just for example if I am about to back into a spot or out of a spot and turn the wheel back the other way I can hear it. The clicking is just in the past couple of days.

yeowguy

I have recorded the sound my car is making. It sounds to me like it is coming from the inboard side of the drivers side CV axle. It will not make the noise while jacked up and just spinning the wheels by hand. It will however make the noise while jacked up and in gear. The noise happens while going straight and in either direction. If you send me your email I can send you the video. Unless you know any other way I can post this video.

I'm no help at all, but it sounds more like a knocking than a clicking. Maybe that name change will stimulate someone else to figure it out.

yeowguy

It ended up being the transmission. Something came loose inside of it. Luckily it was under warranty and I didn't owe anything. I appreciate all the help!