199 Mercury Cougar Fuel Pump Relay

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by CraigE, Sep 25, 2012.

1. CraigE

CraigE Sr. Member

I have an intermittent fuel pump issue with a 1999 Cougar 4 cylinder. I have no owners manual and cannot find which relay is for the fuel pump... Anyone have a relay number ( inside fuse box R1 R2 R3 etc) or know the exact position? ThaNKS CRAIG

2. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

FP relay, engine compartment, front, LH-side, in Batt Junc Box

Look for a row of four fuses, F11, F12, F13, F14. The FP relay is the relay closest to Fuse 14.

3. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Here is a diagram...Jim

Attached Files:

4. CraigE

CraigE Sr. Member

Thanks Jim: I will check it out. CRAIG

5. NickD

NickD wrench

Most of these Fords have been equipped with an inertia safety switch that is in series with the fuel pump. Typically located behind the left rear trunk panel with a switch that can be reset. Could check that as well.

6. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

In fact, that switch has been trouble-some enough that some vehicles have an OEM label under the hood directing you to check the switch in event of no-start.

7. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Here is where yours is...Jim

Attached Files:

8. Thomas2395

Thomas2395 Newbie

I have the same problem but mine threw a code for th fuel pump driver module. Can't figure out where it is on the car though. Does anyone know or have a diagram of it for a 1999 mercury cougar 4 cyl

9. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    If you can post the actual code #, that would help me track down the necessary flow chart.

You are probably looking at a P1233 code or similar. Which normally indicates a wiring problem and not a module problem. If and when you do all the pin testing and voltage checks, then you can start suspecting pumps, modules and relays, but first start off by checking integrity of wiring instead of assuming it is ok.

That is a fast track to wasting a whole hell of alot of money for nothing which I see you are starting to do as this a the second thread listed here for this problem.

Proof is in the pudding, you replaced the fuel pump, without following proper flow chart procedure.

Here is a 16 page flowchart so you will not keep on throwing parts at this car for nothing. Read it carefully and go step by step without skipping a step. If not, you will fast go into the weeds.

Attached Files:

10. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Although I hate formoco products in general for their lack of forgiving engineering design, I love their approach to electrical diagnostics and very specific pin test flow charts, which rarely leave me staring at an electrical problem wondering how many hundreds of dollars I might just spend of a clients money cuz I went blind into a problem thinking an oBD2 code said X or Y sensor circuit or whatever is in fault.

This a wrong and bad approach to diagnostics. Costly in the bank dept, mental health dept, and time dept. I rather have fun with life and follow instructions, that just blindly throwing parts at a car with wishfull thinking.

If you found my response and adequate wiring and connector views and flow charts and comments condescending. I would ask you to read the FPDM flow chart again.

You may just find a rotten/corroded ground, instead of a PCM, FP module, FP relay, FPDM module etc.

Wiggle test, that is always a intermittent winner or a hard short or open fault finder. Your voltmeter is your best friend.

If you have absolutely ascertained that all wiring and related circuitry paths are pristine, then it is time to invest in costly modules once you have sherlocked holmed which one!! through proper investigation.

Not before. There is no magic pill when it comes to these types of problems. The algorithm is to precise.

On that note, good luck, and think before you leap to spend money for lack of proper literature and know how.

If you did find my comments condescending, say so. But at the end of the day, you will probably get over it when you follow directions and your wallet is thanking you for that.

11. Thomas2395

Thomas2395 Newbie

I am getting power through everything my fuel pump just isn't running. I had it running and pumping for about 45 min today then the fuel pump just stopped

12. kev2

kev2 wrench

you have checked for codes- a CKP (and other) issues would cause a pump problem.
    you are checking for 12v at pump AND have confirmed good ground? Colleagues have advised of inertia issues.
    There is NO remote starter?

FYI - there is a return fuel syatem AND a returnless system ... I add a return system there is NO FPDM in this set up.
    ALSO I selected 2.0L as I did not see otherwise.
    upload_2016-7-22_15-43-47.png

13. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    @kev2, from my understand, after may 24 1999, they included the FPDM module in between the inertia switch and the fuel pump.

Before may 24, inertia switch straight to FP.

I included for a 2.5l snapshots, but 2.0l is the exact same thing. See PDF's.

Two of them are for before and after 24th of may for a 2.5l. Other is for a after 24th of may 2.0l. I did not include the before 24th of may 2.0l as you already posted that wiring.

So if the poster can give us date of fabrication and engine size, we can help further and with that code, may help pinpoint more.

Screenshot (767).png Screenshot (768).png Screenshot (769).png

14. Thomas2395

Thomas2395 Newbie

@nickb2

Do you have a cess to a diagram for the 2.0 from the fpdm do to the fuel pump? Showing the fuel pressure sensor also?

15. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Sure, but first, can you get me the date of fabrication, it will be on the tire information/inflation tag on driver side door or door jam. Should give date of birth of this car.

The wiring is different for the two build dates.