1993 Chevy Corsica stalls after stopping

Koug

1993 Chev Corsica, 6 cyl. - 3. 1 L , auto tranny.
A friends Corsica dies after breaking to a stop after warming up. Will start back up,but run rough for a bit after. Always dies when stopping. :stop Problem has gotten worse as time goes on. Letting it sit for awhile allows it to start again.
A long while back, my sister had the same problem with her Grand Am and I think it was some sensor on the tranny. Got the answer to her problem here, but can't seem to find the post.

kev2

wrench
Does it stall when stopped - feeling like a manual trans not clutched at stop?

Is the CEL check engine light on??
Sounds like you are describing a problem with TCC -torque converter lockup-

If applicable temporally unplug the TCC solenoid at trans - just for testing...

Koug

He did say it bucks, and does the same for awhile after he get's it re-started right after stalling,when it does re-start right after. Lately, it's had to sit awhile first.

kev2

wrench
try this when it is bucking shift to neutral.....does it run smooth until return to drive?

WallysTrucks

Semi Retired
Had my grandsons doing the same thing found the lock up in tranny was sticking. Got it unlocked and disconnected the switch at the brake pedal. There are two one for brake and one for tranny lock up. He ran it for two years after that and no problem.
Wally

Koug

If it is the TCC solenoid, how hard is it to replace on a 93 Corsica ?
Any info, pics, or links would be appreciated.
I suppose this question should have gone to the transmission forum.

First thing make sure that is your problem.
Pull fuse or if a 4 wire plugin on transmission unplug it and try it.
The side pan has to come off of the transmission to get to it.
How hard is it to remove the side pan on yours?
3 speed or OD transmission?

Koug

As I stated originally Crunch, the car belongs to an acquaintance at work. I was refered to her as people remembered my sisters car had the same symptoms. I'll have to check her car this Friday at work and get all the info on it. If I disconnect the TCC and the problem disappears at least it will narrow down the cause. Thanks for all the help so far guys.
Ken

Gus

wrench
This usually happens on a 3 speed automatic(TCC solenoid sticking), not a 4 speed.....

You can disconnect the harness for test purposes, but I wouldn't recommend it permanently if you plan on keeping it.....your gas mileage will suffer(at these prices?), and depending on how the person drives, excessive fluid coupling slippage in the converter creates heat in the converter....