1995 nissan maxima being OBD 11 compliant or not

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by wayne, Jul 9, 2007.

1. wayne

wayne Newbie

I would like to know whether a 1995 Nissan Maxima is OBD 11 compliant or not. It seems I have read some where that some are and some may not be even if they have a 16 plug connector. Is there a definate way I can find out? Just in case the VIN number would help determine that this is the number: JNICA21D1ST073003. Thanks

2. wayne

wayne Newbie

Disregard on this question as I think I may have found my answer on another URL. The information I found stated that all vehicles that is OBD 11 compliant will have a 16 pin DLC connector and will have a VECI (vehicle emissions control information) sticker on the inside of the hood, near the radiator, showing that information. I am assuming by this information if it does not have both, most likely it will not be OBD11 compliant.

3. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

If it is OBD2 it will have a plug like this....Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

4. wayne

wayne Newbie

Thank you Jim for the post. My daughter took the Nissan back to the dealership this evening. She had it there about a year ago for the same thing but what ever they did it did not help. Occassionally the engine will stall when she is slowing down or idling. The "check engine light" was on at the time we left it at the dealership. I asked the manager since the engine service light was on whether it would point him in a general direction of the trouble. He said that it would tell them exactly what had failed. From all the reading I have done so far I find this very difficult to believe. The way I understand it, I may not be able to explain this quite right, the light will only point you to a given area and that it would not tell you exactly what had failed. Was the manager pulling my leg? I guess I just need to be reenforced in my thinking on this one. Thanks again.

5. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

No Wayne..you are right.....The code will only point you in the right direction...The code does not necessarily mean that part is bad....Take it to Autozone or somewhere that can scan it for you and post the code# back here....Jim

6. wayne

wayne Newbie

Thanks Jim. After the Nissan manager told me that the OBD 11 would point directly to the failed part I have already lost my confidence in him. He either does not know himself or he is lying. If my daughter had not already taken it and dropped it off at Nissan last night I would do what you have suggested. If it is not corrected this time at Nissan (2nd time around) and If the light should ever come on in the future I will have Auto Zone check it with their OBD 11. I have been thinking about buying my own OBD 11. Which cheaper one, that would do the basics, would you recommend for a home user? I really have not kept up with the newer vehicles. With the dealerships labor prices so high now ($85.00 per hour in Hanover, Pa.) I want to learn more about the newer cars so I can do some of the work and analysis myself. I did buy a perscription from Aldata on my daughter's car. Have a good day.

7. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

You can get the code reader's pretty cheap...Like the one we have here in the tool store........AutoXray CodeScout AXR700 OBD-II Code Reader
    more detail... Price: $78.99 .........................Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

8. wayne

wayne Newbie

Thanks Jim. This is what the Nissan Dealership told my daughter she needed done to her car. Remember now, it only stalls now and then at idle speed. They said it needed the following parts:

Replace Mass Air Flow---------------------------------$552.00
    Replace EGR System (valve,censor & gasket) $372.00
    Clean throttle body------------------------------------$35.00
    Replace two oxygen sensors------------------------$359.00
    Possibly have to replace the ECU------------------$632.00

A total of--------------------------------------------------$1952.71

We refused to let them install all those parts and told them only to clean the idle air control valve, the throttle valve, replace the fuel filter and check the PCV valve. They refused to clean the IAC valve and said their reason for not was because when they have done it in the past they had trouble starting the vehicles. They said they would replace the old IAC valve with a new one if we wanted to do it. They also told my daughter that the car stalled on them three since they done the work we requested above. This sounds fishy to me as this is only maintenance that should have been done a long time ago. I don't see how that would cause the car to stall. This certainly sounds like a rip off to me. Jim. I will get the codes checked again. I will not even ask them what kind of codes they received as I would not believe them anyway. I would like your opinion about this, please? Thanks and have a good evening. I welcome anyone who has expertise in this area to pitch in as I need all the advise I can get.

9. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

The first thing you need to do is go to Autozone or somewhere and get the codes pulled to see what might be wrong......Jim

10. wayne

wayne Newbie

Jim, the light has not come back on yet since we brought it back from the dealership. If and when it does, I will have the codes checked and will post them here. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

11. wayne

wayne Newbie

OK, the "check engine light" came back on. I had it checked and this is the two codes it displayed: P0136 and P0130 indicating oxygen sensor #1 and #2.

12. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Hey Wayne...just by chance did you check the fuse for the 02 sensors?......I think it is the #34 fuse...10 amp...Jim

13. wayne

wayne Newbie

No I haven't Jim but thanks for the reminder. I will do that tomorrow. I just purchased a new Haynes Manual for the Nissan today and it has a wealth of information in it that I can use. My next purchase will be an OBD 11 tester. I will have to do some research to see which one is the best. Thanks.

14. wayne

wayne Newbie

Jim, I may have found the problem. I should know within a short time after the car is driven some more.. I was doing some checking around under the hood and I noticed that the left rear snap that holds the top down on the air filter had not been fastened. This could have let unfiltered air into the system. I fastened the snap down and so far there has not been any more rough idling or stalling. I took the car to Auto Zone today and had them clear the codes. It has been driven about 18 to 20 miles and so far so good...the light is still off. If it does come back on I will check the two O2 sensors and their respective wiring harness since the OBD 11 showed the problems were located in that area. I would assume if it was getting unmetered air around the air filter that it may have been running lean showing the cause in the O2 sensors. I will keep you posted if the light comes back on. If it does not come back on I will not post any further messages. Thanks.

15. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Ok...just let us know....good luck....Jim