1997 Buick Century 4t65-e no first gear

bp042665

hunting nut
yes start with the lube guard i do use it in every transmission i build it will take 300 to 500 miles to see a different

cw41

I hope so, I'll give it a try and see it cannot hurt at this point. In the meantime, is it causing further damage by not shifting properly? We are aware that it has the problem its just a pain when an automatic is not an automatic.. thanks

cw41

thank you very much bp, I have a pint of sea foam in it right now. If I add the lubegard I'm not overdoing it am I? I only have about 100 miles on the sea foam and still doing the same thing so far? I'll have the lubegard today and pour it in. thanks

bp042665

hunting nut
no your not over doing it but if this dont fix it you have a valve sticking but if you read live data and the computer isnt commanding it to shift could be tps i have seen them not set a code

cw41

no your not over doing it but if this dont fix it you have a valve sticking but if you read live data and the computer isnt commanding it to shift could be tps i have seen them not set a code
I thought the same thing about the tps as I've had issues with them before not setting a code so I replaced it with a Napa echlin and no change? I'll do the lubegard and hope it free's up the valve. thank you for your time to reply!

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, you "threw a TPS" at it, but that doesn't ensure the TPS system is OK. Live-data will save a lot of guessing and parts-swapping.

Still don't want to "splurge" on a $25 ELM327 link? At least check voltages at the TPS (with it connected). Check for the 5V power and that the signal reading is "reasonable" as you move the throttle. If that's OK, then do the same readings back at the PCM connector. Since these readings, with all connectors mated, require either back-probing or a mini BOB, they can be tedious to do reliably. Once the TPS system is thoroughly checked, then you move on to doing the same with all the other sensors; the tedium will continue until you use live-data...

Last pitch: I believe there are several (many?) things that simply can't be checked without live-data. For instance, "gear commanded" or "LP commanded" (to check against a mechanical pressure gauge).

cw41

that tps was a last resort to try. I have the elm327 but could not get it to load in either laptop I have and one of them is only a year old?? I will check voltage at the tps but might have my friend at the shop scan it and see what he says. Otherwise if its a stuck valve or solonoid, maybe the lubegard will help. Its an around town car for now so thats part of the problem it doesnt see alot of highway use lately. thanks

billr

wrench
Staff member
I need nickb2 to join in here to help you get the ELM327 working. He will probably want to know what program you are trying to use in the laptop and what specific "ELM327" hardware you have.

cw41

He helped me sometime ago and I called him and we couldnt figure the thing out. We did get the program loaded but connecting to the car and reading the info wouldn't work. I see there are so many more versions of the elm now but reading the reviews, they are having the same issues I did. thanks billr!

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, then, I suggest you post the ELM hardware/software specifics anyway; maybe somebody else can help or we can "collectively" muddle through how to get you live-data. Lack of the live-data will hinder this and any future repair projects. Getting the ELM to work is a bit off-topic, so maybe you should start a new thread for just that?