1997 Buick Century 4t65-e no first gear

cw41

Hey bp, do you have access to the procedure I need on this 97 buick century 3.1 to remove the bellhousing and replace the 1-2 and 3-4 solonoids? Or is my best option an alldata thing? I've replaced solonoids on the older 80's front wheel drives and wasn't too bad of a job but this one looks to be very time consuming. The bellhousing gasket is pricey as well. thanks for any advice bp!!

bp042665

hunting nut
what you have to do is drop the frame on the driverside all the bolts on the side cover are 13 mm but the bottom four or five are 40 torx i can do this job in about 1 to 2 hours if the side cover has a mount them are 15 mm it has to come off it take a little fanagleing to get the cove off but it can be done in frame

cw41

thank you very much bp!!! I removed the left front tire because of a roofing nail ruined it and I see what you mean about the torx and the 13mm. It looks like the cv half shaft runs through the cover?? Do I support the engine with my floor jack under the oil pan or elsewhere? Am I looking at this right?? Like I say I don't have things in the position I need to be in to see it more clearly. It does have the mount on the side cover so that complicates things. Then I assume you remove the cover from above once I get things clear. the air cleaner throttle body related items i assume have to get out of the way. Sure looked like the half shaft was in the way but I might not be looking at the cover correctly. thank you very much for the help and advise. I'm going to donate to the site right now. THANK YOU!!

bp042665

hunting nut
yes the axle does have to come out and put the floor jack under the transmission pan have the car as high as posiable on a jack stand you might have to loosen the rack & Pinoin Bolt Also when all loose you will need to pry the frame down some and the cover will come out between the frame and body

cw41

thank you again bp!! I was thinking about the rack and pinion myself needing to disconnect. I sure wished I had you to do this. I've been a grease monkey for over 40 yrs and these fwd cars are a pain in the a!! I have it on jack stands about 2 feet in the air. In my next life, I'm going to buy a car hoist. thank you again for the advise and knowledge for me to tackle this. BTW, i did send a donation to the site. thanks, chuck

grcauto

thank you again bp!! I was thinking about the rack and pinion myself needing to disconnect. I sure wished I had you to do this. I've been a grease monkey for over 40 yrs and these fwd cars are a pain in the a!! I have it on jack stands about 2 feet in the air. In my next life, I'm going to buy a car hoist. thank you again for the advise and knowledge for me to tackle this. BTW, i did send a donation to the site. thanks, chuck
Right now I'm in an apartment until spring. All my tools, compressor, various shop machines are in storage. I'm not sure I'll be able to find what I need to keep working on vehicles. I have to be able to have a lift installed in the garage that has full travel up without worrying of the ceiling. I can't work without a lift anymore. With my arthritis it's hard enough on my body with a lift. If I'm not able to get a place that has a garage which can handle a lift I will be selling my tools and hanging it up. It will not be worth my building a garage that will allow me to do the work. I may get blessed and find a place that will have what I need. Time will tell what lays ahead.

cw41

would anyone happen to know what is that electrical part with two bulkhead connectors that attach below the 4t60 shift cable? I cannot find out what it is or does?? I'm going to try to attach a pic or two. from up above and down below. could it be this elec part causing a P0753? Grasping for straws I know.

Attachments

would anyone happen to know what is that electrical part with two bulkhead connectors that attach below the 4t60 shift cable? I cannot find out what it is or does?? I'm going to try to attach a pic or two. from up above and down below. could it be this elec part causing a P0753? Grasping for straws I know.
That is you range selector switch. It tells the system what gear you're in.

cw41

could that switch cause the 1-2 shift problem? again, I know i'm grasping at straws but that unit would be so easy to replace next to going inside the case to replace the solonoids. thanks grcauto and good luck on finding a garage to work out of. I'm looking for a mechanic helper on this one!

cw41

I cannot find a pic or part number on this part. I find some similar but have only one electrical plug, mine has two. I believe its the 1st design tranny because the cv shaft goes through the case where the valve body is? I think?? I have a atsg repair manual coming so I can see whats lies inside and out. I might remove the entire tranny and have it remanufactured. I would like to fix what I have. remans are 15-2300.00!! yikes! thanks for your time again!

I don't recall the tranny mode switch causing a missing first gear but I can't say it couldn't.

Here's a place on facebook that covers that tranny very well. It's one of the pages devoted to GM trannys and is moderated by those who know these trannys very well including an engineer or two. This will tell you the design you have and the different changes between them. It will also address the switch and it's problems as well as proper adjustment. You can always ask for help with any questions.

https://www.facebook.com/GM3800Transmissions/

Last edited:
while I was checking the battery side terminals for corrosion and found very little and charged battery its been sitting a few weeks. started right up held rpm to 2000 and sounded fine. let of the pedal and goes to idle for about 5 seconds and dies. turn key off back on and start back to 2-2500 rpm's and fine again until I go to idle then it dies. No codes no check eng lite?? could this issue be the IAC since I cannot idle? I had an issue with a grand marquis years ago that had a idle control fail very similar to this car. just a thought, would a defective IAC set a code? thanks again for anyones time and troubles I appreciate the help.

I would take the throttle body off and clean it real good with carb cleaner and take of the IAC and clean it up real good as well. See what that does for you.

thanks again grcauto, I think I recently removed and cleaned the throttle body but I'll look at it again. I know I replaced the air filter a few months back and at least wiped out what I could reach with a shop rag. About a yr ago the whole top end was apart with a head gasket replacement and I'm fairly sure I would have cleaned it. I will remove it and do it right, thank you again!!