1997 Buick Century 4t65-e no first gear

cw41

oops, this last couple posts were supposed to go the the domestics forum on my 2000 impala.

bp042665

hunting nut
if the battery completely died it will have to relearn idle peremeters again it take about 5 minutes

cw41

Is wasn't dead, I started it up several times, shut down by itself at idle and decided that overnite I would put my 2 amp slow charger on it so I can continue in the morning. Its 27deg right now I'm going to wait a few hours. thank you bp I'm leaning towards that IAC having issues, the only part on the car that I haven't replaced or repaired over the years. for a 2000 its still a good car just has continuing issues. thanks

cw41

Hey bp on this 97 buick w/4t60e I ordered the solonoids and case gasket. Dumb question when you say I need to support the tranny underneath with a jack I'm ok with that, just wonder when I remove the case how much tranny fluid will I loose? I just changed the filter, fluid and reuseable pan gasket so should I drain it first before removing side cover? billr suggested I use the dexron III so thats what I have. I have the dex vi as well for my newer car/truck. that side cover does have the tranny mount right in the way but you say it is not bad to work around. thanks for the help.

bp042665

hunting nut
Sorry Computer Crashed Just Got It Running Again .Yes you will lose about 6 quarts so drain what you can to save it .you can remove the mount with ease to get more clearance

cw41

thanks bp glad you are up and running again. I started on the 1997 4l60 side cover and I have a shop manual saying I have to disconnect the rack and pinion bolt, no big deal but they manual says to disconnect the exhaust?? Also have to disconnect the left side tie rod and lower ball joint. I found you cannot remove the cv half shaft with the ball joint in place. the cv doesnt colapse enought to remove from the transaxle. what a pain for 65.00 in solonoids. I have all four ac delco replacements. back on it this morning. with that tranny mount disconnected and unbolting the cradle I still dont see how the case cover comes off the bottom? thanks for your help!!

cw41

I was hoping so thanks again!! Now if I could just get the lower ball joint apart, not enough room to slip the cv axle out of the tranny unless the tie rod and ball joint is moved. Tie rod popped right off but that ball joint wont budge. Got some penetrating oil on it now. A few good blows on the steering knuckle is usually all it takes. I dont want to use the pickle fork then I'll need a ball joint replacement. Any tips on the lower ball jt? thanks

grcauto

I was hoping so thanks again!! Now if I could just get the lower ball joint apart, not enough room to slip the cv axle out of the tranny unless the tie rod and ball joint is moved. Tie rod popped right off but that ball joint wont budge. Got some penetrating oil on it now. A few good blows on the steering knuckle is usually all it takes. I dont want to use the pickle fork then I'll need a ball joint replacement. Any tips on the lower ball jt? thanks
Pound the crap out of it by striking down at the front of the arm. It'll pop out.

cw41

My thoughts exactly!! I have an air hammer attachment that can hammer for me. I've beat on it all that I dare so plan B tomorrow. thanks gr. since I have the strut and the two adjustment bolts in place, how much tension is actually on the lower control arm? Been a while since I tore down a fwd frond end.

grcauto

I have a 5 pound sledge (no full over head swings) I will hold it 18 inches to 2 feet above the rounded end at the front of the control arm and come down hard on it. Usually don't take more than a couple good whacks and it'll pop it out.

cw41

thats a good idea, I have hit it there but obviously not hard enough! Its really stuck in place. should I have my floor jack under the ball joint when it pops loose? I have no idea how much tension it has on it? I didnt remove any of the upper strut or bolts no need to bother them so I just want to be safe. thanks gr on any tips never too old to learn.

grcauto

thats a good idea, I have hit it there but obviously not hard enough! Its really stuck in place. should I have my floor jack under the ball joint when it pops loose? I have no idea how much tension it has on it? I didnt remove any of the upper strut or bolts no need to bother them so I just want to be safe. thanks gr on any tips never too old to learn.
Nothing under the control arm. You want the arm to be able to move down which allows it to separate from the joint. You can support the knuckle not the arm.