1997 chevy 2500 4x4 with speedo issues need help bad

I have recently purchased a 1997 2500 4x4 to plow my snow and it came to me with a bad trans after rebuild came back I installed it I went for test drive and speedo is inop which also meant no shifting out of 1st gear I have replaced the speed sensor plug it was busted up pretty bad and I have a friend that had an old harness laying around I have tested the speed sensor output it is between . 4 and. 5 a/c output while turning driveshaft by hand I thought maybe i hurt wire when installing so i traced up to the vcm and same results I don't know where to go from here the Haynes book scu shows it turning into drk grn coming out then going to cruise and input sensor and abs i don't even know how to test the output and which of the plugins it's on there are 4 that go to the vcm I pulled the inst cluster to see if mice might of made a nest or chewed any wires didn't find anything previous owner said speedo worked fine if it was just the speedo i wouldn't mind but trans won't shift without the input any help would b great

We need to move this so more techs see it- DOMESTICS forum likely.
I will ask moderator to move it.