1997 ford e150 with 5.4 shifts to OD to soon

jigfeett

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:ford
MODEL:E150
YEAR:1997
MILES:200000
ENGINE:5.4
DESCRIBE ISSUE....trans shifts to OD to quick. I usually drive with OD button set to off. If driving around town trans shifts to early and with just a 1/4 throttle if I accelerate the van shudders badly sometimes even at freeway speeds and I either push the button to turn off OD or hit the throttle a lot more and it downshifts. I'm not sure if the trans is seeing throttle position, I can on my Determinator aka genisys.
I have new coils, new plugs, new fuel filter, new air filter, trans oil is red and clear not burnt smelling.
Any thoughts?
Can these transmissions be programmed?

bp042665

hunting nut
ok what you are feeling is converter shudder comes in about 45 mph . There is a product i highly recommend its called SHUDDER FIX my Dr Tranny most parts stores stock it buy 2 tubes and add to your trans in about 300 miles you should see a difference i use this at my shop on all transmission services on a ford product

jigfeett

Thank you. I have never heard of this. I was thinking about replacing the fluid and filter.

bp042665

hunting nut
you can do both make sure to use mercon V i have seen this in alot of fords in most cases this fixed them unless i see metal in the pan

jigfeett

Hello, It is shifting better but I noticed it does not hold on hills like it did before the changes.

jigfeett

Hi we changed the filter and fluid, then added dr. T.
Hold on hill is when I am going up a hill and stop I can take my foot off the brake pedal and the transmission will hold the van from rolling backwards down the hill.
Before the changes the van would not roll backwards now it does so I must hold my foot on the brake pedal until I can resume up hill movement.

jigfeett

Hi, I'm going to close this one and say it's about as good as it will get and yes much better that before.