1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Gas- Transmission help needed BAD!

Discussion in 'Transmission Forum' started by peaches71987, Jul 19, 2017.

1. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

1998 Dodge Ram pick up 2500 5.9 Engine 400,000 +miles has a 1 ton running gear. I have bought transmission parts for a 1997 just to get the same part to match up.
    I've owned this truck for a little over 6 years. It has been great with only a few minor problems. Please no negative remarks as I have sentimental value to this truck. I'm a female and cash is tight right now but I need some help figuring out what's going on with the shifting in my truck. I have checked everything I can think of and even replaced the transmission governor pressure solenoid/sensor. About 3 weeks ago the transmission would take 1st then 2nd and no higher. I got advice and replaced the GPS⬆ and got everything back together and drove it about a mile down the road. It shifted like a dream. I went home picked up my tools and took off to the store about 3 miles from me. I got almost there and my transmission slipped a bit-not bad. I cut it off while I got gas and headed back home. I didn't get but about a 1/2 mile gone and I wasn't going but like 15-20 mph because of a stop sign and my rpms shot up and my truck wouldn't move even manually shifting on the column I pulled over and checked fluid and for leaks- none. I cut it off then thought try to get home. It would go in drive and ran for a minute tops and rpms shot up again with no movement from my truck. I done this 3 times before giving up and being towed home... Only because I have small children whom need Mommy. I'm disgusted now and down and out. I need my truck and want my truck fixed. Please help anyone! All information is GREATLY appreciated.

2. kev2

kev2 wrench

our trans expert will add some insight soon till then some basics....

Which series trans 42re 46 etc
    Scan for codes yes even if light is out - free scan at many part stores.
    Do you have a scanner showing live data?
    Dodges are funny they only want that ATF4 advise if you used universal or one type fits all - not your issue but want to know.

What is a 1ton running gear? maybe ratio?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  3. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

Rear axles and towing lbs. I don't think it's a need to know thing but I added extra info hoping somebody could help.

4. KrazyK-nampa

KrazyK-nampa Full Member

Well i cant really b of much help being as how i dont rebuild transmissions but do know that the 46 is infamous of this issue (crazy you made it 1/2 million miles w/out this issue). Some claim shift linkage adjustment and tightening bands may solve issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

5. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

Thank u integrityautomotivenampa. I will try anything! This truck is my baby other than my kiddos. Today is my birthday so I'm taking a break from it but I will start again tomorrow.

6. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    5.9l diesel or gas. What vin # do you have. There are 4 different 5.9l's for this truck. Two are in line 6 and two gas v8.

Do you have reverse when this happens? That would be important to know. If you have to drive and no reverse, then you are looking at possible internal failure and pressure tests will need to be done.

As for gear linkage and throttle cable adjustment, here is how to do that if you want to try. Screenshot (91).png Screenshot (92).png

7. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Read the following PDF and find which symptom best describes what you are experiencing, post back and I will provide trouble shoot charts and component tests if you wish.

PDF ACE5 symptom list below.

Attached Files:

8. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

My truck is the V8 gas. Give me a bit and I will get VIN # for u. Please don't tell me internal! I can't win for losing I do have reverse when it does it. But it does the same even in reverse it will go a short distance and up shoots the rpms just like it's in neutral. I just don't understand! Thank u all so much

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  9. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

Nickb2 the closest would be no reverse or drive (vehicle does not move) but it will move some (very little distance) after turning truck off.

10. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Sadly, this will need to be pressure tested to determine if the pump is worn or clutch seals etc are leaking internally when hot. When the trans gets hot, everything is in expansion and most probably the worn internals are letting fluid leak past causing your trans to slip
    I have to go to work now, but I will post on how to do some air check to see if some of the clutches are engaging, but sadly, if you do have movement when cold, then most likely, worn internals and this unit needs to be overhauled. There is really no magic solution here.

As a last ditch effort, you could try an additive that will swell some of the seals and maybe will get a few more miles out of it. But a far long shot to say the least. But worth the 9$ to give it a try.

The product I use is called transmedic. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gunk-transmedic-automatic-transmission-treatment-0380604p.html

11. kev2

kev2 wrench

lets try again,
    You mentioned the 97 or 98 confusion AND purchased parts for this trans the GPS⬆ so you should know which series 42 46 RH RE etc.
    What components did you replace? Just GPS nothing else?
    CODES at least do the key on off trick...

12. kev2

kev2 wrench

attachment - is this your issue?

Attached Files:

13. bp042665

bp042665 hunting nut

Sorry all my wife has been in hospital most likely it is a bad converter have a dodge did same thing i pulled it out tore it down and no bad clutches put new converter and fixed it but live data will help on conferming also pressure test

14. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

Throttle valve adjustment=fine, linkage=fine :'( :'(

15. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

No kev2... It stops pulling in every gear after a minute but I turn it off and crank it right back and it pulls for another minute.