1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Gas- Transmission help needed BAD!

Discussion in 'Transmission Forum' started by peaches71987, Jul 19, 2017.

1. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    I still definitely recommend some sort of Trans medic or other such additive in there. Absolutely no cleaning agent in the trans. Only the reverse flush of the cooler. If you add a cleaning agent to the trans, you will most definitely kill it.

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Well, I'm going to quibble a bit about '98 being so"ancient" and rudimentary. The Saturn TAAT, that started in '91, has pretty sophisticated adaptives. Yeah, it was a fresh design, and maybe on the leading edge, but I would think most others would have caught up by '98. I'm pretty sure my '97 4L60E also has adaptives, too.

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Bill, I don't think it is quibbling. Took me a while to understand that word, I had forgot what it meant. In the dictionary term, it says arguing about trivial matters.

And yes, this in fact a trivial matter, but I find that most clients are misinformed as to what goes into their modern vehicles.

I had a client the other day saying that his trans was acting up, when in fact the algorythm was so confused because of the driver settings.

When I said we are farther ahead than back in the late 80's to early 90's, we don't have the luxury anymore of just having a basic drive ahead car.

Take for instance a new law that has just passed here in Canada. Probably passed in the US also since we are so intertwined. As of 2018, all vehicles will be mandated to have back up cameras. I find this crazy and invasive. If I don't want a pop up screen in my basic drive car, why should it be imposed to me?

Anyway, back to the driver settings. This high end car had 3 driver settings. Now the client only thought it went as far as how the seat rearranged itself and the pedals adjusted. But it goes way farther than that. The client was unaware of this. I guess he didn't read his owners guide. It also logged the driving habits of each 3 drivers that accounted for the seat settings. Hence the shift patterns changed for each driver as it learned their habits.

And yes, I totally agree, trans adaptive have been around for along time now. My old 1992 BMW 325i had a very sophisticated program that adapted very quickly to different drivers. I could tell when I lent it to a girl friend and when I would drive it, it was less aggressive when I took the wheel for the first few klics.

I don't think this is quibbling. But maybe meant for another thread.

Without quibbling, trivial matters such as the light bulb and telecommunications as Alexander Graham Bell thought through a single wire, we would still be in the dark ages. Now we have LED lighting in our houses, smart phones that can fax and scan in the blink of an eye. To boot, a smart fridge that orders your food for you.

Would I want any of these things? Hell no. I still don't have a cell phone and my newish car is a toyota echo that has no ABS, or electric windows and the CD player works fine. No adaptive memory for trans, it is a manual.

4. EricC

EricC Hero Member

Shop Foreman, County Garage
    Home Page:
    If a new filter "Fixed" this transmission, I have to wonder how much debris was in the pan > getting sucked into filter >causing no fluid/no movement. Then I'd be wondering where all that debris came from.

ETA: I see nickb2 already covered this, but it's worth repeating.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017