1999 dodge durango front wheel bearings

I have a 1999 durango 5.2l, 4wd, rear abs, with 111,000 miles and auto transmission. Had the front wheel
bearings (hubs) replaced a couple years ago, and it feels like they are going again. When cornering, feels like the wheels
tilt in and then back out. Scary !! Feels like the wheel could just fall off. Why are these things failing so often???? Any recommendations on replacements? I'm going to replace them myself this time, anything difficult or special tools needed??

Thanks

Paul

I'm The Decider
You may want to inpsect the ball joints.Dodge has had a lot of trouble with them.Lift the front end,grab the wheel at the top and bottom and see if the wheel moves when you push and pull on it.

Well, Dodge has had a lot of trouble with a lot of things. I'm going to put new hubs on this piece of American made junk and head for the nearest Toyota dealer. I've had enough !!

Thanks

stu

Website
www.81x.com
Haha. ;D

American made junk.

You will be hard pressed to find a vehicle made in America using American made parts.

I work for the manufacturer that makes the wheel bearings for the Dodge Durango. I also handle the technical side of the warranty for these wheel bearings. These bearings have problems related to the seal design. The design isn't robust enough to have the factory place the seals square and in the exact position, and to do this repeatedly. This results in a seal that has a bit of wobble in it. This wobble pumps water and contaminants into the bearing, destroying the lube, which eventually results in a spalled bearing.

I've seen one case where the bearing failure was so advanced, that all the rollers, seals and cages popped out of the bearing and the wheel was riding metal-to-metal, inner ring on outer ring.

Don't wait for it to get worse, get it fixed now bacause there's no telling how long a bearing will last once it's started to fail.

Thanks for the reply. I am not driving the truck, I'm afraid it will fall apart on the highway.
I have ordered the hubs and will replace them asap. Between ball joints, bearing hubs and the
resulting tire wear and replacement, this thing has nickel and dimed me to death. Everyone says to give the
imports a try. I have been reluctant, but I guess it's time. I guess the reason for the domestics
financial problems is obvious.

Thanks

why wouldnt you take 10 minutes to diagnose the problem properly.if you replace the hubs and try to trade it in,and the dealership takes the time to give the front end a wiggle,well you figure it out.take the time to diagnose,please.

I did troubleshoot it. I jacked it up, grabbed the wheel and I can move it all over the place. I'm
surprised it hasn't fallen off. The ball joints are good, I replaced them for the second time not too long ago.
I wouldn't trade it in an unsafe condition. I will fix it and then trade it before it kills me !!!!