1999 Ford F150-starting problems when cold

My truck broke down sat for a few months it's old. It's got 260k miles I think it's a fuel problem but not quite sure. I changed the fuel filter one afternoon and it fired right up seven times in a row. But it won't start in the mornings. I get home after work starts right up. I think it has to do with the cold but it's been around 40 degrees in the mornings not to cold. It cranks but won't start.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Check fuel pressure with a gauge; you can often borrow one for free from your FLAPS. (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store)

No codes set? Have you had it scanned for pending codes? Again, often free at your FLAPS.

This is OBD2, so live-data is cheap and easy to get. Get set up to view live-data if the above show no joy. It can save a lot of guessing and parts changing.

Have you even peeked at the spark plugs yet? Post pictures if in doubt about how they look.

Ight but the truck fired up first trie 60 degrees plus repeatedly. Will any of what you said there factor in on cold mornings?

billr

wrench
Staff member
All of what I mentioned above pertains to cold-start difficulty!

Are you saying the CEL (Check Engine Light) is on??? Give us the codes!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
When you say sat for a few months, how many? Fuel quality will diminish with time, lowering octane. I assume this may have happened, making hard starts in cold mornings. I also read up on how ethanol fuels dimish raidly over short periods of time VS our better northern climate ethanol free fuel.

You could try adding some octane booster.

But I am most certainly on Billr's side when he says to check the truck checked for codes. You could do that your self if you have a cell phone and buy a bluetooth elm327.

If your really cheap, buy one of these, but no guarantees it will work out of the box. I bought ten of these to give as gifts, 6 out 10 worked.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lat...Vi8DACh0m9QRYEAQYASABEgK9LfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have had no issues with my original elm327 usb which was not a china fake, but that one was over 50$ at the time. They have gone down in price.

So, at the price the above link gives, buy 3 or 4, you are sure you get one at least that works, and if they all work, give them out as gifts, they are greatly appreciated, even by the women who have cars and smart phones. You just install an app freely available on the net to get and clear codes, they give the limited necessary data needed.