1999 Toyota Avalon Brake Bleed Sequence and Procedure

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by edge, Sep 26, 2009.

1. edge

edge Full Member

I would like to know the brake bleed sequence/procedure for a 1999 Toyota Avalon with ABS? I have found two conflicting methods: RR LR RF LF and RR LF LR RF. Is system split is diagonal or front/rear ? Is there any special procedure if with the ABS? Thanks

2. csaxon

csaxon Full Member

The FSM page BR-4 say rr lr rf lf. There is a NOTICE: Bleed air of rear brake first. If front brake line is bled first, rear brake air cannot be bled.

Bleed the precharge pump of air,if you have VSC and are repairing the master cylinder or precharge pump.

3. edge

edge Full Member

Sorry for the late reply, my email client sent the BAT email notification to spam. The pedal is spongy and the fluid has not been changed since new. The pedal holds the height and does not sink and there are no visible leaks. I don't think at this point there is problem with the master cyl. Is it still OK to proceed with bleed ?

4. csaxon

csaxon Full Member

Yes, just do the rear first. Have fun.

5. edge

edge Full Member

Just in case, what would I need to do to bleed the precharge pump/actuator if I don't get good pedal after the line bleed? The car has ABS and TC, but no VSC.

6. edge

edge Full Member

I did not get a firm pedal after the bleed, looks like it could be a the master cylinder to me. The pedal will go to about an 1 inch off the floor and is spongy, but there is still very good braking power. I did not see any leaks around any parts of the brake system. I take it I can replace the MC and bleed as normal per your info below?