2000 Dodge Durango SLT

:( I recently bought a 2000 Dodge Durango SLTm 110,000 miles. I owned it a week and took it back to the dealer to have the rear bearings and the power steering hose and fuel pump all replaced and they swear the truck runs great now!! WOW!!! noway! I have a 2 year old and I am scared to death to put him in it! the car will run great for a while, then all of a sudden the check engine light comes on and the car feels like it is not shifting, I was going 30 MPH and my RPMs were at 3500 thats crazy! and the only way I could get it to shift was to let off the gas a bit! then it doesnt shift by itself again! also, sitting at a stop light or even in park, the RPMs bounce from 1500 to 2500 RPMs and if I turn in my headlights it makes my RPMs bounce even higher, but my alt. tested ok!

I Love this truck but I am worried that it will break when I have my son with me! any ideas of what that could be so I can fix it fast!!

Thank You So Much!!!

THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS TRYING TO TELL YOU YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. :ROFL

Did you take it back and tell them what it is doing and ask them to recheck it for you?
If they can not check it out and fix it for you.
Find a good repair shop or good 5 star cry dealer and have them put it on a engine/transmission capable scanner.
There should be codes stored past or present or history or pending.
If the repair shop can not figure it out post back code no that it has and someone will help you.

:) funny! I know it means I have a problem LOL

the one thing that is hard is the dealer who I have to take the truck back to is 2 1/2 hrs from me, but my dad and I did the on off on off on thing and it said my #2 cylinder had an error! would that do all those crazy things, it feels like the throttle is stuck if the truck even has a throttle ha ha I have a 1998 Grand Prix GTP thats my baby, has never given me any problems and now this dodge is giving me nothing but problems!! ???

Yes it could.
Also check engine light tells what IS WROING WITH IT. :ROFL
What engine?
Just give us the code no and we can tell you the problem.
What was the code no? ???
Long and short flashes spells the code no.?
Post back what ir is telling you.
Has it ever been tuned up?
crunch

The code that flashes is P0121 it is a 2000 Durango engine 4. 7 and I believe it has had a tune up but I made an appointment for wednesday to have it weatherized because we live in MN and its freezing here!!

Thank You

Code 121 is a Map/TPS sensor or wiring circuit problem.

Your best bet is to find a good repair shop that knows what they are doing and run threw the repair flow chart for that code.
Good Luck

Durangos of this year with the 4.7 were known to have TPS problems. The TPS will cause the problems you are having, erratic idle and transmission shifting problems because the transmission uses the TPS signal also. Replace the TPS, very easy and not that expensive as I recall.

TPS it was! Thank You you guys are great! the part only cost 42. 00 and it took 30 min to replace! runs great!! Thanks again!!

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
I need to say that I am happy for you that it's fixed but I also need to say that it was the wrong way to fix it. The problem with "throwing" parts at a vehicle to fix it is: that it usually does not fix it although sometimes you do get lucky as this case presents. We have a car in the shop now that we towed in, the customer was sure it was a crank sensor and since it is a dodge product sounded quite reasonable. We still performed the diagnosis and it was the coil. He could throw cranks & cam sensors at it forever and still not solved the problem. 20 minutes to test the system, 10 more to confirm the failed part and we KNOW the failure. Just my $.02, Transman