2000 Ford F450 Bus Chassis: Extra Battery?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by duesey8, Jul 1, 2014.

1. duesey8

duesey8 Full Member

Hi, while underneath our church bus (Goshen Coach 22 passenger) last evening, I found a steel box bolted to the outside of the right frame rail, about 1/2 way between the front and rear axle, which apparently has an automotive-type battery in it. We did not even know it was there. What does this do?

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

The obvious answer is extra battery capacity without having to enlarge the stock battery box. Are there any uncommon electrical loads in this bus, like wheelchair lift or lots of interior lighting? Is it a diesel, especially one larger than usual in an F450?

3. duesey8

duesey8 Full Member

Nothing special as far as electrical loads. I did learn that the Diesels had two batteries and one was bolted to the frame because there was no space under the hood, but this one is V-10 gas. Two batteries were optional, though. This box may not even have a battery in it; I will check this evening. Apparently it will be a normal auto battery if it is there, and I will replace it (14 years old!).
    Sorry for the typo: it is an E-450 (van cutaway) chassis, not an F-, as was used for an airport bus or a Class C motorhome.
    Thanks a bunch!

4. dabunk

dabunk wrench

Home Page:
    Especially if it was an airport cutaway they added the extra battery to acomodate the extra load while idling. All our busses have the same setup except the newer fords put both batteries under the frame as there is no room under the hood. Real fun to have to jumpstart in the winter!!!