2001 cougar revs high on start

DJM1972

When I start my car it seems to idle way to high. It idles up to 2000 rpm then it gradually comes down to where it is suppose to be. I undid the battery terminals to reset the computer but just did and didn't notice if it made a difference or not.
Not sure about the type of choke system on these newer cars its a far cry from the older style carboratores. The emisions system I beleive is still the same or similar in that it still useses the exhaust to warm the intake up faster when cold. Oh yes it didn't seem to do this until colder weather. The car only has 47000 miles on it so I'm gonna rule out ignition or other similar possibilities, at 1st any ways.
2001 Mercury Cougar 2.5 liter by the way.
electrical my worst night mar hopfully not :-(

Any chance the check engine light is on, or has come on. Most likely after you took the battery cable off all memory was cleared. I would check the vac. line for breaks (esp. PCV elbow) Cleaning out the throttle body and IAC wouldn't hurt.

Ford_Dude

oldtimer53

There is no "choke system", all electronic control. Chances are that the IAC (idle air control) is sticky. Try starting it up cold , and while it is in this reved up state, tap on the IAC with a screwdriver handle(no harder than you could stand to hit you knuckle with the same). If the Idle speed drops to a more normal speed, then try cleaning the IAC, but sometimes only replacement will do it. The IAC is bolted to the throttle body.

All of the idle controls are done through the computer and sensors on your vehicle.

As the guys said, I would look at the IAC (Idle Air Control) as the problem.........
Or the port to the IAC is plugged with carbon.

Your vehicle came with one of 2 kinds of IAC.
The images are of both of the different kinds.

[attachment deleted by admin]

DJM1972

I posted here about a year ago about the car idleing way too high on cold startup and you guys said idle air control.
I think you guys at bat are right, I am so ready to tear into this thing this car has been doing this for years.

Ok I went to Auto Zone and the guy located my Idle Air Control Modual. Then he pluged in a code tester and found no codes. The car was good and warmed up when he tested it though. I believe he said if it was the I. A. C. that it would show a code. Knowing this, should I go ahead and buy some gaskit material and take it off and clean it anyway? Wait I called and the guy at Auto Zone they said they don’t have the same gasket material. He said it might be something I have to get from the dealership. So now I guess I gotta go to the dealership? Maybe there is nothing wrong with the car but Idling at 2 grand on cold start-up seems a little too much to me.
Well I am very tempted to try it but if there is nothing wrong with it and I damage the gasket I will just be making it worse. So I’m just gonna post and see what you guys say

Thanks
Mercury geezs