2001 jimmy, power window issue

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by gullythumper, Jan 12, 2017.

1. NickD

NickD wrench

After 28 years, 88 Supra had this problem, just pulled the drivers and passengers power window switches and cleaned them, used silver contacts, slight amount of oxidation on them. 93 S-10 comes to mind, used copper switches, pulled all four and polished those to a mirror finish. Both shared erratic problems. Other vehicles had cracked wires between the door and the body, these were permanent problems.

Drivers switch is the worse, has all those interlocking contacts, clean work bench, and watch out for springs flying out all over the place, all seem to snap together and can be snapped apart.

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    My god, @ the other Nick, I thought you were dead.

Glad to see your still active.

:D

3. kev2

kev2 wrench

since you lubricated the channel has there been any issues?
    You are keeping it lubed?

Seeing the reason for window up- down - High use - might want to have all clips, rollers, wearable parts before opening panel. Might take time to get it all together.

4. NickD

NickD wrench

Well almost, required another life saving surgery, First car with power windows was my 65 Buick, the one I put 330k miles on, just wore the motors out, back then they had replaceable brushes, also used a slip clutch, that had to be cleaned or wouldn't lift the window. but wouldn't kick the circuit breaker. Many of the power windows today are throwaway. Thank you for the kind thoughts.

5. gullythumper

gullythumper Full Member

I hit it with another dose of silicone spray today. It stuck once last week. In the fuse box under the hood, there's a breaker called "glass power". I assume that's the power window breaker. How do those breakers come out? I tugged a bit on it but it wouldn't budge. There are five there with the same part number, so I figured I'd swap two and see if that helps.

6. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Try the other 4 and if one comes out you will know how it is installed.

7. NickD

NickD wrench

Strange question I had with my 17 year old 92 DeVille with 130K miles on it, why am I not have problems with the power windows? Had to remove the switches to find out, was using tungsten contacts, not silver, not bare copper. Switch life is based on the number of contact closures, set of tungsten points would last 10 K miles with a 4 amp inductive load, the worse kind, care to calculate the number of contact closures? Actually its when they open is when you get that high inductive kick back.

While they do have a greater contact resistance, can be made a bit larger to compensate for this, but can stand that arc without getting pits, even better than using gold.

Just a hint as to why we are having problems, and they can be very erratic in operation, really don't find erratic problems in mechanical. one broke, they are broke. Suggest you check your switches contacts.

Practically all this new stuff is using point contact relays for switching stuff, like everything, starting the engine, head lamps, etc. Could have chosen a worse switch for this job. An old ignition switch or a headlamp switch used a self cleaning wiping contact. When that relay contact closes, if the contacts are not perfectly clean, do not get a sharp voltage that is required to reset all those microcontrollers, if if they don't start from reset, just about everything goes crazy, firmware is tripping over its own feet. New problems that were never problems before. Only takes one tiny bit of debris from preventing a good contact with these things, and no way to wipe it off.

When we really needed a very reliable contact, could use a mercury wetted contact relay, but were banned by the EPA, but at the same time, approved CFL's by the trillions with mercury in them. Another thing that was banned was electroplating, had to shift this to Mexico, then China to get this done, or just use bare copper.

8. gullythumper

gullythumper Full Member

Been too darn cold to get out to do any more troubleshooting. 15deg with a foot of snow yesterday. The window hasn't stuck anymore as of yet. I'll keep updating.