2001 Kia Rio - Vibration Issue

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by naleenasmom, Jul 17, 2008.

1. naleenasmom

naleenasmom Newbie

I hope someone can help me. I have a 2001 Kia Rio. About 6 months ago the car began to shake on idle. I first brought it to my mechanic who changed my timing belt, needed it as I was approaching the 70K marker, did not fix the issue. They could not find the issue. Brought it to the dealer, they said I needed my motor mounts done and the downpipe. They could not get the part in for 2 weeks so I went to another recommended private mechanic by me who replaced the motor mounts and the downpipe. Car STILL shaking. They tried to raise the idle but it only causes the check engine light to go on. Brought it back, they adjusted it back to where it was, check engine light off, car still shaking. Now it slightly shakes with no a/c on, not horrible, I can deal with it, but as soon as I flip the a/c on it shakes like a martini shaker LOL. I brought it in this morning since I needed shocks and struts done and told him the car is beginning to shake worse. Shocks and struts done and his mechanic looked over everything (I personally think this one guy is a moron, I'll explain in a bit) and said he tightened up everything and the car isn't shaking anymore. OK, no problem, I go, pick up the car. When I first started it, no shake. . . drive it about 1/2 mile and the shaking begins, increases again even more with the a/c on. Drove it right back to him. This is what they did. Had me open the hood, get in the car, turn it on, put it into drive (foot on brake of course) while the service manager and mechanic looked under the hood. While they were looking they had me turn the a/c on and off constantly to see if they can figure whats going on. Mechanic kept shruggin. . . yeah. . . that made me feel better LOL. Also, about 2 weeks ago when the shaking increased I noticed whats sounds like a squeaky belt noise/rattling. Mechanic then tells me he THINKS it's the a/c compressor, his exact words were "it might be feedin too much" Have NO idea what that means. I doubt it's the a/c compressor since the shaking occurs without the a/c on, it just increases when it is turned on.

I need to keep this car since I have zero depth perception and this is the only car I have ever been able to drive comfortably, even the newer models I am uneasy in. They say they have checked everything liek the EGR valve, etc. Does anyone have ANY clue what could be causing this? I know my mechanic will take any suggestion as I have researched my own car issues and been able to tell him the problem before he sees it LOL, I like knowing whats going on. I would be so grateful for any and all suggestions anyone has. If anyone has any questions, you can post here or email me at danielle@yourlittlestinker. com in case there is something I missed here that might be relevant.

2. Ford_Dude

Ford_Dude wrench

I would be inclined to clean the IAC (idle air control) valve. I wouldn't replace it, unless I was fairly certain it was the problem. The IAC should step the idle up when you put the A/C on. It might have crud built up in it to the point of stopping the plunger from moving back and forth freely.

Here is a picture of the IAC
    [​IMG]

Any chance the car has had a tune up ?
    Ford_Dude

3. naleenasmom

naleenasmom Newbie

yes, it had a full tune up 4 months ago. I also remember asking him to check if there was an air leak, he said their wasnt. Do they normally check the IAC during a tuneup?

4. Ford_Dude

Ford_Dude wrench

If they clean the throttle body, then there is a chance they cleaned the IAC. I would have to say the chances are low that it was cleaned. If he checked for a vac. leak and found none then I would clean the IAC and go from there, you don't want to replace it unless you know its bad (225$ aftermarket).

Ford_Dude

5. naleenasmom

naleenasmom Newbie

Thank you very much. I am heading back down there with the car in about an hour. I will update when I get back. I just called him and suggested the IAC problem. He did not indicate whether it was checked or not, just said he would check it when I came down.

6. naleenasmom

naleenasmom Newbie

ok, they still have the vehicle and will at least until Monday. THey still cannot figure the issue out. He said they cleaned the throttle body and the IAC and the car is still shaking. ugh

7. naleenasmom

naleenasmom Newbie

well 3 days later and the car is still shaking. I am bringing it to Kia tomorrow for them to look at it.

8. naleenasmom

naleenasmom Newbie

Ok, back from 9 hours at the Kia dealership. They checked everything, no evap leaks, all the prior work done to the car is good. Turns out I need a new fuel pump. Mechanic stated I have low fuel pressure which is what is causing the shaking. Anyone ever heard of this happening before?

9. khalif tha don

khalif tha don Newbie

hey naleenasmom did u ever fin out what the problem was im having the same problem...please help