2002 4 Cyl Toyota Camry P0401 Insufficent EGR Flow Code

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by ttrah, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ttrah

ttrah Guest

I cleaned the EGR tube and intake/ exhaust ports w/ carb cleaner, Checked hoses for cracks, replaced the EGR valve, the actuator solenoid, and a differential pressure sensor (DPFE) and still got a P401 code after 30 miles. Freeze screen on code reader shows eng speed 1657, CALC Load 66.3, MAP ("HG) 19.8, Coolant temp 196F, IAT (F) 100, ST FTRM1 (%)4.7, LT FTRM (%) 0.0, VEH Speed 31, Fuel SYS 1 CLSD, FUEL SYS 2 N/A. I'm going insane with this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

2. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Does that system use a EGR temp sensor to determine adequate flow?

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Are the long term fuel trims stable? Was the egr valve new or used and ALSO DOES IT EVEN HAVE ONE?

I hate saying this, but try this product, I use it alot. http://www.3m.com/product/information/Intake-System-Cleaner.html

Works really good. But if egr insufficient code still comes back, you will probably have to remove intake and soak it and use elbow grease, they don't sell that grease on e-bay :ROFL I like to joke btw.

I am looking at my alldata base, no P0401 charts, I jump from P0340 to P0420.

You say it is a 4 banger, my data base does not show it. here is proof. So maybe my canadian models that I have fixed are different. Can you post a picture so I can help you out more?

What state/country are you from, is this a sedan? LE or LXE? Is it California emission car etc? The only models I see in my data base show 2.4l 4 banger. No EGR on board???!!!
    \
    Maybe another wrench here can help you further, hope you get her done :thx

I am confused. Here is more proof!!http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/7qdqg-toyota-camry-locate-erg-valve-2002-toyota-camry.html

Not my writing. OK something is not making sense here. This engine does not have an EGR system installed. I have worked on hundreds if not thousands of camrys just like yours and I am positive. Could you check the code again? Are we sure it's not a p0420?

If this camry has EGR, I would be amazingly surprised. I think maybe you need to rethink this. Post back. Interesting post/thread.

Ok, had to modify for bad english, this my $.02 writing. Are you sure you got your facts straight? :thx

Attached Files:

4. The old man

The old man Hero Member

He may be confused and have a 2001 Camry, that has a 2.2 engine (2200). According to my program the 2001 Camry with the 2.2 engine does have a EGR valve. In 2002 the engine size went to a 2.4 engine and does not have a EGR valve like you said.

5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    @gus, those 2.2l engine were awesome, they last forever 8).

As a resident of north america, I stand by my opinion in regards to Toyota products and I think that sucks. But hey, these cars just won't die :ROFL pound for pound, these camry's are the equivalent to a mercedes benz IMHO.

If this op can post the engine code, I would help so fast. Cuz I really checked and I think he got the year wrong like you said or I am not on the 8/cue ball on this one. :eek:

There was a subtle joke there for the op 8) Vin# 8 is the engine code. 8)

6. ttrah

ttrah Guest

Thanks for your replies. Because I am just so fed up with this issue and tired when I wrote this, I fat fingered the date. You are right, it is a 2001 Camry LE 4 cyl. I personally replaced the EGR valve, solenoid, and vacuum regulator valve. The EGR valve pulls in when I rev the engine and I have taken off the EGR connector tube and made it clean as a bone. All hoses are clean as well. Today it threw a P0402 code and a miss fire code, I think it was P0300 but not sure. To me, it sounds like a sensor issue and not the valve itself. The reason I think this is that when the car is just warming up for about 3 mins, it runs very rough and stalls sometimes. It's like something is telling the car to let more exhaust in at the wrong temp. Does anyone know where this sensor is located?
    I don't have a soaking tank and I am at wits end with this. Still getting combined 25MPG for city/ highway. I checked the ST and LT readings and not sure what I should look for. When I rev the engine, both go to negative numbers for the most part. Is there a reference chart or site on line I can learn more from?

7. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    yes,try this site, has good info on P0402 8) Normally P0300 is multiple misfire. Check secondary ignition and grounds.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0402 8)

8. ttrah

ttrah Guest

Thanks for your help

I have replaced all 3 components listed for this P0402 per your suggested webpages. It seems that they are the same components that initiate the P0401 code as well.

There has to be a sensor that interprates either the gas values itself or temp, once I find that and replace it, I think I will be in a better place.

9. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Hi, now that I know you have a 2001 ;D 2.2l I am in a better position help 8)

Here is a pdf.

Here is another pdf from me and a link that came from mobile dan :p I have been trying to the get g chords right, not easy :eek:

http://youtu.be/uSodCuo73ig

Attached Files:

10. ttrah

ttrah Guest

Thanks, I will review the PDF's and follow the trouble shhoting steps

11. ttrah

ttrah Guest

I followed the flow chart and all modules check out. When I pull the air line off of the MAP sensor, the car stalls imediately. I don't think this is the issue although it is last on the flow chart. When I disconnect the vaccuum line leading to the EGR valve, The car runs great!!!!!. I can rev it up and it does not stall!! Cold/hot, runs great!!! It does throw the P0401 code after 30 miles or so. When I remove the PCV valve line off the intake, the motor RPM's go up. Same when I remove the larger line coming off the right of the intake. If I disconnect the sensor on the exhaust manifold, nothing happens. How can I clean or test the 2 smaller lines coming off the differential modulator? Hoses are clean but maybe one of the brass tubes are clogged. Tried air and carb cleaner but it won't go through. Is there anyway to bypass this so it will pass emmisions? I changed everything else. :( :( :( :(

12. ttrah

ttrah Guest

So today I removed the throttlebody and totally cleaned all ports and the body itself. Looks brand new! I removed the temp senor on the exhaust manafold and hit that with carb cleaner. I Installed a new canister by the gas tank too per a local mechanics recomendations. After 30 miles or so, it threw the P0401 code again. What else is left?
    Hopefully you guys didn't give up but I'm about to.

13. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

I need for us to regroup here. Originally (at start of thread) did it run fine, but was just setting the P0401? Then, after all your efforts, I'm reading in reply #10 that now P0401 does not set, unless you disconnect the EGR vacuum line; but the engine now runs crappy unless you do disable the EGR. Am I understanding this all correct? Does anybody have a schematic of this EGR system, especially any sensor it may use? Wiring/connectors between that sensor and the PCM may be a problem, but hard to troubleshoot without more info. I'll have to review the previous posts, see if there are clues there I missed. I have to admit, I have been cruising past this thread since I don't have any first-hand experience with this particular system. Let's hope we can get this thread moving again!

14. kev2

kev2 wrench

toyota camry 2001, 2.2L, 4cyl

sorry the best I can find on a SUNDAY

15. ttrah

ttrah Guest

Re: 2001 4 Cyl Toyota Camry P0401 Insufficent EGR Flow Code

Thanks for getting this moving again. I will out line what I have done from the start to finish so everyone can take a fresh look.

1- The car threw the code PO401. It ran fine at the start but then it would stall after it warmed up at stop signs or even if I hit the brakes hard on the highway when approaching stopped traffic.
    2-I inspected all hoses and cleaned them, took the EGR valve off and used carb cleaner and a coat hanger to clean out the port on the intake and on the lower exhaust port also the EGR tube itself ( didn't see any carbon to start with like some of the You tube videos)
    3-Code came back. I replaced the solinoid, vaccuum modulator and EGR valve w/new gasket. Code came back.
    4-I removed the throttle body and cleaned it like it was brand new. All ports looked clean and passed cleaning fluid without issue. I removed the temp sensor in the exhaust manifold and hit that with carb cleaner as well.
    5-I replaced the carchoal filter by the gas tank. (biggest $$$ part yet)
    ***Code came back***
    6- My tests to date confirm that the solinoid is powered when the engine is cold (is pulled in and does not pass vaccuum), EGR valve does not move until solinoid loses voltage (car warmed up to temp) and gets real hot by passing exhaust gas when you rev the engine (valve pulls in an out without restriction), car stalls if you apply vaccuum to the EGR valve while it is running or rev it up manually by the throttle body cables, I disconnected the vaccuum hose to the MAP sensor and the car stalls imediately.
    7-I disconnect the vaccuum line to the EGR valve and the car runs great! It does throw a P0401 code after about 30 miles though. No loss in MPG either.

I recieved the PDF which shows the proceedure on testing the vaccuum modulator and other components which I will try step by step next. Maybe one of the new components I replaced is faulty out of the box.

Thanks for everyone's help and any input is welcomed.