2002 Ford E-Series Van A/C Always Defrost

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by jd, Jun 18, 2015.

1. jd

jd Hero Member

Chart Two, Top Box - Incorrect/Erratic - Sounds like ME and some others.

Sorry about "boite de thon" [pronounced "tone"] - You do very well in English, better than many who don't live in French Canada. I had to gOOgle to get that answer. I do not know much French although I took it in high school. Should have taken Spanish. Much more use for Spanish in modern day America. Particularly FL, NM, TX.

I'll supply info about the canister I find. That common one is spherical 156-mm diameter plus mounting ears on one side.

2. jd

jd Hero Member

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...LINMVbUdVKxE50ncN9sUtSz0VJDOlJB8CILGl4CCByb0I bought one of these
    [​IMG]
    Which reminds me of these
    [​IMG]
    It's about the only Vacuum Reserve Canister that I'll call "readily available" NAPA had one in Richmond VA at about 4x the price, and no dimensions. Turns out there's space under the wiper cowling, behind the air filter, to install it. Probably will ZIP tie it to two metal tabs that support a wiring harness. Only weighs a few ounces. I have the filter assembly out now and verified it. Had to move the RV yesterday and A/C responded to controls like it should. Temp in the 90's (F) here in FL today with strong sun and I used up my outdoor endurance on the lawn. Should have a complete project and results in a few days. I hope to work on it tomorrow. Installing a bomb in the morning and going to fireworks that night just has a nice bang to it. Thanks, everybody!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  3. jd

jd Hero Member

:fixed:Project Complete!

Had already run a vacuum hose to bypass the vacuum check valve and reserve canister in the HVAC cabinet. Had found a promising location for the "Acme" canister under the cowling behind the air filter. Even better, there are two metal brackets with holes for bolts in that area. There are nearby wiring harnesses, but the brackets themselves were unused. Removed air filter as if replacing element. All this involves is one band clamp. Nothing else had to come off. Bolted one end of the Acme to one bracket and made an extension out of strapping iron to reach from other end to other bracket.
    [​IMG]

This is the underhood vacuum connection with new Vacuum Check Valve, leading to re-routed Hose. Note that the vacuum supply from Intake Manifold is the RED hose. The rest of Vacuum Source, all the way to the Mode Switch (Valve) is BLACK
    [​IMG]

This is where I cut the Black Source tube coming out of the lower right corner of the HVAC cabinet. It shows against the triangular white patch near the center of the photo.
    [​IMG]

And... This is the mess I made taking the Instrument Panel Bezel out without checking for vacuum source first. With this problem on a Ford in the future, I'd verify the Engine Source (RED at Connector to BLACK). If OK, find where Source (BLACK) leads to the Mode Switch. Cut tube and check for vacuum. If NO vacuum, run bypass hose and test control function. If controls work, install new Check Valve and Reservoir. If YES vacuum, THEN and Only Then, do what it takes to access the Mode Switch (actually a Valve). Patch the cut tube with an inch of 1/8" or 5/32" ID vacuum hose.
    [​IMG]
    And this mess in the passenger foot well.
    [​IMG]
    The black "hose" running across this picture is actually the Radio Antenna Lead. The grommet I passed the new vacuum hose through, is just forward of the one where this passes through the door frame.

Works great! Final cost around $25.00 USD. Lot of labor but much from lots of investigation. A repair with the process of elimination above (tracing and verifying Vacuum Source) would make this a very manageable project. Dorman Part Numbers are Canister 47077 and Two-Way Check Valve 47150

The BEZEL was a Bear! Very difficult to pry out and a little nasty going back in. Area around headlight switch got hung up under Instrument Cluster. When I got it out from under, it popped into place trapping two of my left fingers. I'd put the tools out of the way and could barely reach a trim tool with my free hand. At this point I did not yell "Ford" but rather discussed the bezel's ancestry and current profession...

THANKS ALL for the Help!!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Haha, success, bravo!!!!!

So it was the black vac source and vac res. Nice. I think this is a fixed thread.

Thx for the pics. Shows what goes into yelling "ford";)

I fell off my GF's bike, nursing a bad knee and another beer, but so happy you got that done. :D

I love it when ppl fix thier own sh$t!! Makes the economy stronger. Less waste and high self confidence.

Again, bravo.

Here are firework from up here. two years ago but it's like an aha moment.

5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    An epiphany is like when you are having sex with your wife/gf and the next day you try to nail a 2x4 and you hit a brick wall. Or some idiot who lights off fire works and blows up a town.

My humour is sometimes strange, but I am proud of your assiduousness.

6. jd

jd Hero Member

Assiduous.... Fifty-Cent word for Anal?

Where do I click FIXED?

Get well from that spill! Can't have you sore and off duty.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  7. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    No, assiduous is not a word for anal. Not in my understanding of the word. It means working with conviction and determination.

Anal is like tooling around details that don't make sense.

As for the fixed icon. You will find it on clicking the smiley face icon when you post at the top of the correction bar.:fixed::D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  8. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    I'm tougher than that!! Haha. I just need a few days to make sure I don't hurt it more. Walked three kilometers today and knee and hip held up fine, sore, but solid. So screw the doctor. I am damn sure to not wait in a hospital for 24hrs for this. But thanks for the nice comment.

Nickb2

9. jd

jd Hero Member

Let me please hijack my own thread and ask:

Can anybody tell me where

1. A/C Condensate Drain

2. HVAC Blower Resistor Pack

Are?

Trying to help on another forum, and searching around our E-450, I didn't even find the Resistor Pack!

It's possible the "Drain" is nothing but a gap in the bottom seam of the Evap Housing. On ours, the Drip flows across the top of the Chassis Rail and falls off up toward the bumper. I just couldn't see or feel anything, reach it for that matter, around Evap Housing.

THANKS!!!

10. dabunk

dabunk wrench

Home Page:
    That and they use hard plastic tubing Heat makes it so brittle just touching or moving it causes cracks.

11. jd

jd Hero Member

Searching videos and pictures, it seems that
    1. With Battery Removed
    2. Can Remove Blower Fan
    3. Drain can be cleaned from the big hole the Squirrel Cage came out of
    4. Resistor Pack is visible in the lower driver side corner of the HVAC cabinet now not hidden by Battery