2002 honda odyssey egr problem

i have a 2002 honda odyssey and just had the maintenance light come on pulled the code and it is p1491 EGR valve Lift Insufficient Detected. the van is second hand and is from canada! we(honda usa) have a tsb for that problem and canada does also. i live in california and canada honda says once a vehicle is sold the tsb's are not covered is this true????????????????

thanks
marcus

Hondadude

Well TSB is not warranty, so you probably are being told that american honda will not warranty canadian vehicles and that is true.
There is a chance that the pintle in the valve is sticking and causing the code, might be worth the effort to remove the valve and blast it out with Berrymans B-12 and compressed air. Then reset the ECU and go for a couple test drives. The EGR emission code will take 2 'drive cycles' to recode.

2POINTautO

If this was a US model, the warantee was extended up to 8 / 80. Check the vacuum hose also for leaks. Do you have a hand pump vacuum gauge setup, pick one up at Sears, it may be possible that the vacuum diaphram is bad in the EGR Valve also.

yes that is right i am being told that american honda wil not cover the repair because it is a canada vehicle, but the tsb is also listed in canada and they have a 8yr/130km extension. honda canada says once the vehicle is sold the tsb are know longer covered?! does anyone know if this is true?

thanks

Marcus

Paul

I'm The Decider
I think some of whats been going on is since Canadian money is close to the same value as Us currency,a lot of Us auto makers or manufacturers that build vehicles in the Us are not honoring warranties to discourage cross border car buying.Cdn's see that the same vehicle in the Us is less than in Canada.Even paying import taxes and fees,the vehicles are still costing less.

i pulled the egr valve off today and cleaned the area with carb cleaner and the egr valve as well. had positive batt terminal off the whole time an when i reconected it the code was gone. by the way the egr valve have know vac connections it is an electronic egr. looked for pluggin in the port where the egr hooks up know visable plugging. possibly farther in????????

any one have experience with the plugging and where it is at???

marcus

2POINTautO

I knew from your code that it had a lift postion sensor but it didnt click that it was 100% ECU controlled. Your response almost sounds like there is no electrical connector in the area, was it unplugged and left for dead or did I missread. Again, it will take two drive cycles to get the code back on again. Do you have some research data to read up on the control solenoid and other EGR system components?

know data just what ive read on the net. the egr was plugged in and i guess working til wife was riding home one day and the maint light came on with an intermitant tcs light. ran code reader and came up with p 1941 or was ever code it was for egr insuficaint lift. 16 hour shifts kick your a$$ after a while. anyway i would like honda to fix the problem if they will cover it under the extensiopn but they are saying beings that i am the third owner tsb aren't covered!!!

marcus

2POINTautO

I would contact Honda directly, emission warantees are extended because the government says so, not Honda. The EPA wants clean air and so do the Japanese, I would make the phone call to the US Honda Headquarters. I wish dealers would get their story straight on TSB's, your dealer made it sound like they cover TSB's, many dealers do not. It does depend on the TSB and who is going to pay for it but emissions are covered under extended warantee, not a TSB.