2002 Pontiac Sunfire lack of engine power.

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by Scotty, Mar 14, 2017.

1. NickD

NickD wrench

Had to buy a fuel pressure in 85, little 15 psi gauge didn't work any more, fuel pump pressure had to be greater than the regulator setpoint or would not get recirculation, and the pump would burn out. Besides the pump, its voltage has to be the same as the battery, typical current draw is 4 amperes, if the voltage is less than this, motor cannot get up to speed to develop BEMF and the input current will skyrocket and burn it out in a hurry.

Long path from the positive side of the battery, firewall connector, fuses, ignition switch, fuel pump relay and clear back, dirty contacts cause voltage drops or a very poor ground someplace.

Regardless of what you have to pay for these POS for lack of a better word, long brushes, cheap armature and plastic check valves and not quite the easiest things to replace. When does it go out? After you top off the tank with gas, with no easy way to drain it. Very few vehicles have an access plate and if the exhaust runs under it has to be dropped first. Dey all do dis.

85 Honda SEI was one few vehicles I had that used an external fuel pump, and since it was so easy to replace, never had problems with it, story ends here. On this newer stuff, everything has to be tight or will get fuel evaporative codes. Another PITA. Then E10 comes along, more problems, 2002 is marginal, some say you can use E10, but not E15, E10 just takes longer.

Sure have to load those spark plug boots with silicone or will never get them off, they bake on hard. The they are like a Chinese finger puzzle, harder you pull, the tighter they get. Made my own tool with a piece of 3/4" strap steel, put a notch in it at a right angle that goes under the boot so it compresses rather than stretch it out.

45 mils is way too much gap on spark plugs, ignition systems are so weak, get a blow out, misfire that toasts your cat. 26 mils works fine, but to do this, ground electrode has to be bent out so the electrodes are in line.

2. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Early or repeat fuel pump failure is sometimes caused by high resistance in circuit connectors. Specifically, the wires inside the tank. Jostling the wires during pump replacement can get them to work briefly. Hanging a replacement pump on it's mount without addressing possible harness issues is a fools game.

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    this comment is freakish, ground on rear bumper.

4. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

I'm not sure what you are saying, nickb2. I thought Dan's post was reasonably valid.

Maybe we should take this to the Lounge for debate?

5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Hmm, ok, maybe my last post was confusing, but the ground choke point is G304. I have seen numerous bad FP diagnosis due to not checking this ground out. It is close to rear bumper under license plate light.

Also, I posted while buzzed on zambooca flambé. Last night was fun night out with the boy's, but most of us have a head ache now. Anyway, back to the problem. see snapshots

Proof of what I am saying, this ground can throw a fp diagnostic way out of whack. See snap shots below. If that ground isn't clean and tight, find another location and use 12gua wire.

Screenshot (61).png Screenshot (60).png

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Often the splice for the pump is grungy too. I always redo wiring to new, so I don't have to see that particular car for that particular problem again.

7. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Splice S330 that is.

8. Scotty

Scotty Sr. Member

Update: its been 12 days since fuel pump was changed and its still running great again without it dying. I dont know what the guy at the shop put in for a fuel pump assembly but it was $265 for it. I had a spectra premium put in on my old car (2005 Chevy Cavalier ) and never had pump issues even the the day i traded it in it was running great.