2002 Toyota Camry No Brake lights

02 Camry I have the third mount in window working but not the rear brake lights. Brake switch seems to be working, I have no shift interlock issues and third light illuminates with pedal applied. I have checked all fuses inside panel and under hood to no avail. Both bulbs were changed to verify no bulb faults. I am stumpped. Could anyone advise. I had read about a lamp failure sensor, but when calling Dealer, parts guy told me he had never heard of this and recommended I bring it in. Sounds like a catch to me. Thanks in advance. Weezie.

Do the tailamps work when you turn on the lights? If not you may have a bad ground. Remove a bulb from the rear brake lamp assy and check it for power using a test lamp. You can make a test lamp with any 12volt bulb. You will need 2 pieces of wire and a bulb. Connect on end of the wire to one of the terminals of the bulb and the other wire to the other terminal or to the side of the metal base of the bulb. You can use electrical tape to hold the wires on as this will be a temporary tool. Now check it at the car battery. put one wire on the positive terminal of the battery and the other on the negative terminal it does not matter witch wire. If the light comes on the test lamp works. Now using this test lamp touch on end of the wire to any metal part of the car body. and use the other end to check the lamp socket wires. It should have power to one of the terminals when the brakes are applied if not recheck all fuses and wiring. If it does have power then it is most likely a bad ground. HTH Greasemonkey :)

I am sorry I did note that the tail lights do work,, also the turn signals work I purchased the alldata subscription and see the ground locations , but they are good. I just found tonight that the 10 amp fuse inside at fusebox has no power coming into the fuse, even if I apply brake switch I dont get any power from test light. Thanks for your fast response and good info.

2POINTautO

You didnt say which trim model of Camry, so my answer may be off a bit. I show the same power to all three STOP lamps so if the third brake light works then power should be on the Grn / Wht wire on all three brake STOP lamps, trace the wire into the trunk for a connector.

There are different ground points based on engine size, style of AC, where car was produced and if it has a rear spoiler or not.

I show a STOP Fuse 15 Amp for the brake lights (all) and no bulb check circuitry.