2003 ford ranger - cylinder 4 misfire detected and misfire detected 1st 1000 rev

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by bberksonstock, Jun 14, 2007.

1. bberksonstock

bberksonstock Newbie

Can anyone recommend the repair I need to make to a 2003 Ford Ranger pickup truck based on the codes I received when I plugged in my OBDII code reader. I received 2 codes, P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire detected and P0316 - Misfire detected 1st 1000 revs. Im not sure what part needs to be checked or replaced.

Thanks

Brian

2. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

When was the last time it was tuned up?.....possibly a bad plug or a plug wire...look for a loose or shorted plug wire....that would be the first things I would check....Jim

3. bberksonstock

bberksonstock Newbie

thank you for your reply Jim. I had the vehicle tuned-up and had replaced all the wires and plugs 2 months ago, the problem was there before and after the tune-up. Is there anything else you can recommend checking.

Brian

4. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Which engine do you have in it?...A bad injector can also cause it to throw a miss code...How does it run?...Have you had the fuel pressure checked...also a bad crank sensor could cause it...Jim

5. Transman

Transman Receptionist & Complaint Dept.

Home Page:
    Re: 2003 ford ranger - cylinder 4 misfire detected and misfire detected 1st 1000

You might want to try a bottle of "Seafoam" in the tank or find a shop that does "Motorvac" service. The fact that is was there before the tune up kinda leans toward injector problems. Post back, Transman