2003 PT Cruiser Rebuilt engine

I installed a rebuilt 2. 4 turbo in buddies cruiser, hard to start and runs rough, won't stay idling. Code PO016 leads to crankshaft misalignment, changed cam sensor, crank sensor, wires, plugs, and coil. Same issue, pulled off timing cover, marks all in line, cams both up, I'm stumped, can I still be out 180 degrees on cam to crank?

GRIESSMEIER - start a new thread - this is added onto a 5year old issue...
the engine (2.4 t) was the same eng as removed.. 2.4T?
I will see if moderator could move it...

billr

wrench
Staff member
I couldn't find a definition for OBD2 code P0016, what is the full (and precise) description that you have?

opelgt

Check the cam sprocket dowel pins. If one is bent or sheared off it will set the cam out of alignment when the engine is running. If a scanner is showing the crank/cam angle at 16 degrees, you could have the crank sprocket out one tooth.

Yes checked and triple checked marks and I'm right on with them, both cams up and all, I've done these belts before without issue so now tonight that is where I'm headed to pull off cam sprokets and check dowel alignments, so frustrating, you don't expect this when buying a rebuilt from a reputable company. The symptoms certainly do lead to off one tooth.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated at this point, don't think so but could I be on wrong stroke and have to do a 360 with crank while leaving cams where they are?

P0016-CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT

WHEN MONITORED
Engine cranking and Engine running

SET CONDITION
Powertrain Control Module detects an error when the camshaft position is out of phase with the crankshaft position.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
- Intermittent condition
- Checking intermittent CMP signal with lab
- CMP wire harness inspection
- Tone wheel/pulse ring inspection
- CKP wire harness inspection
- Tone wheel/pulse ring inspection
- Intermittent CKP signal
- Camshaft position sensor
- Crankshaft position sensor

360* rotation of crank would put it in the same spot- pointless. If timing marks are spot-on, I would suspect "tone wheel" problem caused during rebuild.

NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket TDC mark is located on the trailing edge of sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to TDC mark on oil pump housing will cause the crankshaft timing marks to be misaligned.

I've not had too much to do with these engines I am more into heavy equipment field, when you say tone wheel, would this come off of crank to sensor and would I still have a rough running, stalling out engine? I just want to cover all angles before I go to extreme of ripping out and returning engine, we waited 2 months for this one. Marks are dead on. :'(

Info I see has Crank sensor reading toothed disc on crankshaft inside engine crankcase. Cam sensor reading slots on end of cam, I think. Is it possible to put the cam sensor on backwards? (with electrical connector facing in the wrong direction?)

Not a lot on this PT with turbo As you see sparce .

I asked around...
My chrysler buddy - using the DRB check the CKP and CMP signals, intermittant?- ck offset.
Did you use an OEM CMP.... only reasonable suggestion he had- check the CMP wiring haness
rubbed thru pinched ....

OEM cmp and ckp, opened up harnesses followed all wiring and connector pins. . . , no visible wear or damage, now doing some research the crank in this engine originally had a casted tone ring and 2003 changed to a bolt on tone ring, next generation would have NGC "new style computer" latter would not?

Older had crank sensor front passenger and new rear driver, could cranks have gotten mixed up in rebuild, would engine even start if this is the case?