2003 Town Car easy entry seat doesn't work

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by Carl59, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Carl59

Carl59 Jr. Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: 2003
    MODEL:
    YEAR: Lincoln
    MILES: town car
    ENGINE:
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....

The seat mechanism's gears are stripped on the easy entry/exit feature for the driver's seat. It no longer moves forward or backward, but all other seat positions work. Is the motor itself replaceable, or do I have to buy the whole track (which I don't need).

Car has memory seat and heated seats as well, if that helps.
    Thank you

2. kev2

kev2 wrench

have you looked at one of the FoMoCo on line parts sites?
    they have parts manuals ?

I think same set up as a LTD and their parts coverage is very good..... lots of fleet uses, police and taxi.

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
  4. Carl59

Carl59 Jr. Member

Hi, and thanks for the replies...

I was under he impression that the whole track assembly had to be replaced, .
    But I am assuming this is not the case?

All other seat functions work, (recliner, lumbar, up/down, tilt, etc...except the forward and back function (aka easy entry/exit feature)

Since this has the airbag in the seats, what
    is the proper procedure to avoid deployment when swapping out the seat motor.

Thank you

5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Basically just disconnect neg lead from bat, and wait a beer or two. But here is the ford way.

:D:eek:

Not my writing.

Typically not needed, but here is procedure to be on safe side

• Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
    • Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
    • At the central junction box (CJB), located LH side of the instrument panel, remove the cover and the restraints control module (RCM) fuse 2 (10A) from the CJB.
    • Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds . The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
    • Turn the ignition OFF.

REPOWER

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Preferably, I work with no power to system at all. Once sent a spark to the SRS module just because I was welding a support and SRS wires next to the suppert for front passenger which we were trying to convert to a handicap friendly type thing, cooked and gave one heck of a short, passenger air bag squib open, after doing harness repairs still circuit open, shyte, a 600$ mistake.

Basically, what I am trying to say in my akwards english is, if you cut return path at the source, wait for condensers in module to seep. Like I said, time for a beer or two, golden after that.

One shot I did not expect, I had a car towed right onto my lift, front smashed, no airbag deployed. The minute I gave ground, horn blasted once and air bags deployed.

Safe to say, the insurance adjuster had to modify his quote.

The scanner was nice enough to give me a snap shot of the event. Freeze frame of deployment was at moment of re engergize, or / repower moment. But the impact did tear off the cosmetics of this ford/licoln, it was not enough to set of the impact or g force sensors, but a harness had been impacted in a way that the SRS module went short straight to ground. So I guess what I am trying to say is be careful, all power sources whether it be B+ or B -, better to just disconnected said module and should ok, unless like in the scenario above, its a risk.

7. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    So to clarify this event, the freeze frame showed to movement, meaning zero km/hr, no rpm, meaning engine not even on, ignition on, cuz the idiot I am, forgot to ask the tow guy for the keys. I assumed the client had them in his pockets, tow guy left it on my lift. Forgot the basics, lite battery to get juice to scanner, Like I said, horn just beeped once, airbags exploded, car was a write off, and insurance adjuster was there at moment, he looked at and said what just happened.

I said this not normally what happens, but something us guy who work on this, everyday have to look out for.

8. Carl59

Carl59 Jr. Member

Thanks for the advice....I think I will do both, disable the RCM Module fuse (via the oem recommendation) AND then disconnect both positive and negative battery terminals.

I assume repowering would be in he following steps......????
    1) reinstall fuse to RCM control module.
    2) connect positive, gen negative cables, (in that order)
    3) start vehicle

Thank you