2003 toyota corolla 200k no start, no crank??

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by Joe69, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Joe69

Joe69 Sr. Member

2003 toyota corolla auto trans 200k no start, no crank?? The car all of a sudden won't start any more. The problem developed slowly. It was starting all the time, then in the morning you will start the car drive for a while then you will park for 20 or 30 minutes and when you came back the car will not start nor crank. But maybe after you let it cool it will start. But now it got to the point where it doesn't start at all, nor crank. I removed the starter to check it outside the car and with direct current from the battery the starter will kick and turn. Yet I went to Autozone to have the starter checked and they said it was good. So I went back and install the starter back to the car. And still the same no start no crank.
    I remove the starter out of the car again and tested with jumper cables and direct current and the starter kicks and turns normal.
    This time with the starter removed I connected the wire from the car that connects to the starter solenoid and I attached jumper wires to the starter from the battery. And I turned on the ignition key from the car and the starter kicks in and turns normally.
    So I went ahead and install the starter back to the car and try to turn the ignition key and again the car wont start nor crank. I don't know what can be wrong, shorted starter or wires.
    Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks for replaying Joe!

2. kev2

kev2 wrench

There is no check engine light on.
    there is no security light on.
    There is no REMOTE starter.

If ALL answers no...
    be sure vehicle in Park - might want to wiggle shifter.
    then check fuses inst panel AM2 15amp...
    Starter relay- might try swapping with a like relay for test

see attachment

Attached Files:

3. The old man

The old man Hero Member

Aside from what kev2 said, it sounds like to me it has a bad negative ground cable or where it attaches to the engine, or a bad positive cable or connection at the battery terminal. . When you are supplying power outside the car, your positive and negative cables are coming straight off the battery terminals through your jumper cables. Take cables off of battery and clean the posts and inside of the cables, and also the ground cables connection at the engine.

4. Joe69

Joe69 Sr. Member

Thank you for all input. I don't know the location of the Starter relay, I was looking for half and hour and couldn't find it. Any ideas where to find it?

5. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

My first assumption is that the engine is not seized or sometimes hydro-locked.

You need to test power at the wires with the starter INSTALLED. Get a helper or rig a jumper to the little "trigger" wire terminal at the solenoid. Then energize the solenoid and see what happens to a test light in contact with the big "battery" cable post at the solenoid.

The test light should burn brightly before you energize the solenoid. When the solenoid is energized, the light should stay bright or dim slightly.
    If it "goes out", you have a problem with a lack of power available to starter.

Sometimes a worn starter works great with no load, spinning freely.

6. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

A is the starter relay...Jim...................

STARTER RELAY ASSY

Inspect the relay continuity.
    Using an ohmmeter, check that there is continuity between terminals 1 and 2. If there is no continuity, replace the relay.
    Check that there is no continuity between terminals 3 and 5. If there is continuity, replace the relay.
    Inspect the relay operation.
    Apply battery positive voltage across terminals 1 and 2.
    Using an ohmmeter, check that there is continuity between terminals 3 and 5. If there is no continuity, replace the relay.

Attached Files:

7. Joe69

Joe69 Sr. Member

Thank you for your input, Is the starter relay on the instrument panel block on the upper part on the driver's side compartment. Do I have to dissasemble the the instrument panel cover because I still couldn't see where the instrument panel block is located. Thanks again Joe

8. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Here is another diagram...looks like there should be a cover right on the lower part of the front of the dash to remove...Jim

Attached Files:

• toy.gif
      toy.gif
      File size:
      28.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Joe69

Joe69 Sr. Member

I installed a remanufactured starter and the problem is fixed :ROFL
    Thank you for all input!!

10. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Glad you got it fixed....thanks for posting back and letting us know....Jim

11. Tj16903

Tj16903 Newbie

Hey Joe and everyone else, My GFs car has the exact same problem. Weve checked everything. Autozone said starter alternator and battery are good. we even replaced spark plugs. What should I do? You replaced the starter even though it passed the test? Thanks in advance.

12. opelgt

opelgt Hero Member

One of the first signs of a starter problem is driving it for awhile (getting to operating temp.) Parking for about 20 minutes and try starting. If the starter is fairly old/lots of miles on engine, the armature windings expand with the heat and start "dragging" causing the starter not to turn over or will turn over slowly. Letting the motor cool down and it starts fine is a sure sign of this type of problem.

13. schembfr

schembfr Newbie

Thanks for the info. My 2003 Corolla wouldn't crank. Everytime I tried to crank, I would only hear 1 click coming from the solenoid. I charged the battery and still same thing. I think the solenoid actuator was extending, but the starter wasn't cranking. I took the starter to Autozone, and they ran it through their tester and said everything was ok. I even saw the actuator come out and spin. However, I figured that may have same problem, so just went ahead and bought a new one for $100. Installed it, and worked perfect. So I guess what could've been the problem was the solenoid was sticking and maybe when I took it out, I unstuck it. So morale of the story is, could still be solenoid or starter even though passes Autozone test.