2004 dodge ram 2500 frame repair

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by Stevenf90, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Stevenf90

Stevenf90 Newbie

Hey everyone. I bought a 2004 ram 2500 diesel long box 4x4 with a flat deck on it. I was planning on using the deck, but have come to the conclusion that it is in to bad of shape. I got looking under the truck to see how they mounted the deck to the truck. It looks like they used the front four mounting bolts for the box to bolt the front down. On the rear however, they welded two 2" square tubing to the rear section of the frame. They also welded supports from the back of the deck up to the bottom of the frame. In all there a 6 pieces welded to the rear section of the frame. It looks like the previous owner hit something backing up because one of the rear frame rails is bent where one of his supports come up and attach tof the bottom flange of the frame. What I want to do is set the frame on stands, cut the deck off and start from the frame. I'm thinking of grinding out the weld where the rear frame section splices in to the main frame and replacing the rear section from a scrap yard truck, as well and getting the box from the scrap truck and just putting a box back on. Any thoughts on this? I'm also wondering if the frame of a 1500 would be the same thickness as the 2500? Or do I have to get my rear section from a 2500/3500?

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    I highly doubt the frame of a 1500 would be the same as a 2500/3500 as those were constructed for possibly housing duellies. But a frame guy should confirm my suspicion as I am a auto tech, not a collision tech. But from my memory, not same frame, so stick with what you have. But again, I must emphasize this is not my area of speciality.

Now here is the kicker which you may not like, but if you weld this frame, legally you are bound to get it inspected. So my suggestion is to double wall the break where you want to weld.

I think this is your best route with the best chances of passing inspection. I live in Canada, our rules are different than in the usa.

3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Post some pictures of the frame damage/mods. We can give better suggestions if we have some idea of what you are trying to repair.