2004 F150 no cruise control and daughter is not happy.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I got lucky, I got a used autel maxisys for 500$ with update to jan 21 2017. All I need now is to find a maxi flash on the cheap.

Problem is, I need to spend 900+ dollars for the J2534 hardware/software upgrade since it's not an elite version of the maxisys. Also, spend 700$+ for the actual interface. I don't need or want to spend 1600$+ right now.

http://www.autelonline.com/autel-maxiflash-pro-j2534-for-maxisys_p8.html

Since mine is not a pro or elite version, I need to buy the upgrade for the unit I bought for 500$, but is still better than spending 3600$ for the elite kit. I did the math, 500$ already spent, 700$ for J2534 interface, 900$ for upgrade to andoid device (autel maxisys) = 2100$.

https://www.ebay.ca/i/332634265302?chn=ps&dispItem=1

I still save. Link above is 3700- 2100= 1600$ savings. Ok, now I am getting boring and off topic.

Back to the ford VCM2, for 123$ for the china clone, not much to loose. If it does work as advertised, you have one sweet setup for real cheap, but remember, your stuck doing only ford, mazda, lincoln and maybe a few land rovers. Still, if I were you, I would definitely look into it. You already have the paid software and laptop set up, would be sweet to be able to reprogram and reflash for only a few bucks more.

Back to my rambling.

Once I do decide, I can reflash any north american sold car/truck. Big advantage for a tech like me. But at same time, I make enough money with my day job, I really don't need the side line right now, but it would be good to have if ever I get laid off for some reason.

Trick I learnt from a teacher in night class, I can use my maxisys as is to reprogram any volks, bmw, mini without the j2534 interface. So maybe I can stick to those for now and use that money to sideline and finance my future investment. But like I said, I am not going to be out of work any time soon, there is a huge vacuum for specialized techs like me right now. My future employment is guaranteed, unless I get locked up. :eek:

Last edited:
You are looking at some really sophisticated equipment. What I would love to have is a device that I could see inputs, outputs, and the code that acts on those inputs and outputs. I've been running into a lot of problems at work where the PLC's have been either trying to drive an output and the output remaining dead, or seeing inputs that are in an off state that show they are energized in the program. The key is I can see the whole picture, not just part of it. I give you guys that work on automotive equipment a lot of credit because you have to imagine what is going on inside the black box that controls our vehicles.

Please excuse my digression. So I can now explain my reasoning behind reflashing the PCM. We know that the throttle actuator is good because without it, the truck wouldn't run. The cruse control switches are good because I can watch the signals on ForScan. I saw both of the brake switches on ForScan. The vehicle speed signal to the PCM was verified on ForScan. No codes in the ABS system, plus I verified wheel speeds in the ABS system with ForScan. Throttle position signal is good. Accelerator pedal position good. Transmission gear selection to PCM verified by ForScan. The cruse control switches on the steering wheel to operate the cruse control all are read by ForScan. There is nothing that I can think of left. The only option in my mind is a program glitch. The only solution in my mind is to reload the PCM. I've been in similar situations at my regular work and this was the only solution.

Thanks again for your support. We'll all learn from this one.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah, like I said, not really sure a reflash will work. But why not try. But in this field, trying a reflash is the cost of the j2534 VCM2 china clone.

Often times, when all the sensors have been checked out, reprting back as specified, and this is also verified by a third poarty, such as your laptop via a specific software, in your case, forscan, not much else is left but to suspect the control unit itself. In this case, there is no specific cruise control module like in other car makers such as volk, benz, audi etc.

So the next logical step one would want to take is to reload the software, but this is protected software, controlled by ford. This is not just like reloading a windows OS back into it to make sure it has all its drivers or something to that effect. Most times, a transistor that controls a grounding switching effect is often the case. This can be fixed by a genius with some heavy duty scope and MIT skills, and even then, this has to be accompanied with some sort of skills in the ford proprietary reflashing to upgrade to the new hardware installed if lets say it was an IC that needed replacing which housed some sort of flashable memory that may have gone volatile and needs to be uploaded back.

I could go on and on and probably already stopped making sense at this point.

That is why the automotive industry is plug and play as integrated circuits are so widely used, no serviceable parts to be replaced such as in an industrial or military grade application.

In your case, we are almost pretty sure it is the PCM, which we know houses the cruise contol module that fried. And sorry to say, but a reflash is probably not going to fix the issue. But like I said, worth a try.

The reason I am pushing you to check out to buy the VCM2 clone is that it is the price of a reflash at your local ford dealer. But if in case the reflash does not resolve the problem, your ford dealer will still come to the same conclusion as you, or me, or your friend who works at a ford dealership, and they will still need to flash the new eeprom in the new or used PCM anyways, and then they have to charge you another 140$ for a new flash procedure.

Hence, I am just saying, we know you need another PCM, we know you will need a flash procedure, we know you will pay 120 or so an hour for labor etc. This is going to cost alot of $$.

You can do this yourself, spend 123$ for the china clone, try to reflash your original PCM. If that does not work, your only out time. Then you go back to square one, buy a new or refurbished or used (known good) PCM, flash or reflash it. You are still only out of pocket the 123$ for the J2534 interface and the price of the control unit(PCM).

If that works, you know have that interface to do pretty much anything a ford dealer can do for future use and it only cost you 123$ to get that dealer capability.

The proprietary software you pay to ford directly via the IDS subscription, which you have to pay anyways in the cost of a reflash.

Here is how it works.

https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/wds/diagnosticsites/IDS/mcs/

Here is what you need, a laptop. A VCM and software.

Here is where you need a credit card to get a 2 day subscription to get her done once you get a valid VCMII/2 to work for 49$. https://www.fordtechservice.dealerc...ds/diagnosticsites/vcmdvd/mcs/idssoftware.asp

https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/VDIRS/wds/vcm_retail_renewal_Latest.asp

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Key word to retain here. J2534 compatible devices.

You already have forscan, a tertiary software. It will reprogram with the apropriate J2534 interface, but you can get the free ford IDS software here. https://www.fordtechservice.dealerc...ds/diagnosticsites/vcmdvd/mcs/idssoftware.asp

Probably already included that link before.

This is free to download and install on your laptop or pc. The only thing you need to buy is the VCM2 clone. Then buy a new or used PCM. Then pay 49$ to ford for access to the server to access the files to flash, calibrate etc any module known to man for the ford products from 1996 to present. Then download that to the module you want done via the VCM2 j2534 compatible interface via your laptop.

Known figures, 123$ for the clone, 49$ for the subscription.

Unknown, price of the PCM, new or used. But that you have to pay anyways.

Unknown, pricing at your local dealer ship for reflashing. Probably 180$ or more. Not including cost of new pcm and installation os said pcm. Towing if you do install it yourself at home since that will not work as you now have a paperweight in your truck as it is not flashed to recognize keys, anti-theft, flyby wire etc.

You can circumvent all this by following my advice. I know you can do this as you say you are a savy guy with what you do at work.

The only added bonus I am pushing here, is that you will have this dealer capable scanner for future use and will have saved some huge cash just by doing it yourself out of the comfort of your own home and such. You can also get others to benefit from it and also make money, as long as they drive a ford product.

This is not a daunting process. It just takes some time and effort to learn J2534 protcols. Which is quite easy as the servers do it all for you as long as you have a viable fast internet, a good battery charger to keep modules at optimum voltage during the flash process.

The IDS software does the rest, the ford server prompts you every step of the way with the VIN and module to be done.

Watch this video attentively, notice the voltage icon, this is why I talked about having a charger always plugged onto the battery, if not you run the risk of bricking a new PCM in the flash process.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, I am out of this discussion for now, I have to do some overtime tomowrrow morning. Just 4 hrs, 8 to 12, then I am off to SH karting with my GF.

I am 43yrs old but still love this stuff on weekends, and the outdoor karting just opened back up last week. It's also fun in winter. SO here is a video of summer and winter fun we have, just down the road from where I live and work.

SO off to bed with me, I will post back more info tainment stuff on how to use and buy cheap stuff that actually works.