2004 Honda Accord - radio display does not work

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by Alex, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Alex

Alex Guest

Hi.

Yesterday my wife was driving her 2004 Honda Accord LX V6 AT and the radio/HVAC display went blank. The radio still works. This car has 56K on the odometer.
    I searched on the net and found a mention of the Honda's TSB 01012004 "RADIO DISPLAY OR UPPER DISPLAY IS BLANK" which seems to be addressing the problem I have. Of course it's hard to tell without seeing the TSB's text.

2. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Here is what the tsb says...maybe she just turned the display off.....Jim Notes

SOURCE:
    Honda Service News January 2004

TITLE:
    Radio Display or Upper Display Is Blank

APPLIES TO:
    2003-04 Accord

SERVICE TIP:
    If a owner complains that the radio display (without the navigation system) or the upper display (with the navigation system) is intermittently blank, find out how long your customer presses the CD/AUX button to select CD play. Your customer could be inadvertently turning off the display. It's not written down anywhere but, as a manufacturer's test feature, pressing and holding the CD/AUX button for about5 seconds turns off the display. The display comes back on when you cycle the ignition switch. If this is what your customer has been doing to select CD play, tell him or her to just press and release the button and not hold it down.

3. Alex

Alex Guest

It's definitely not the CD/AUX key :(

Yesterday during a trip the display came on but was very dim and the brightness was uneven across the display. After I cycled the ignition it again became blank. Today the display is also blank.

4. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

It sounds like a loose connection or a bad ground wire....Jim

5. tommy86

tommy86 Newbie

I've got the same car - 2004 Honda Accord V6 AT with about the same mileage and my radio/HVAC display went out this week, too. I believe the TSB is 04027 dated 6/15/04, and affects 2003 models and some 2004s. Any chance of getting a look at the TSB?

6. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Here is the tsb....Jim.......................
    Audio System/A/C - Display Module Dim or Dark
    Notes

04-027

February 15, 2006

Applies To:
    See VEHICLES AFFECTED

Audio-HVAC Display Module Is Dim or Dark
    (Supersedes 04-027, dated July 9, 2004)

Updated information is shown with asterisks and black bars.

SYMPTOM

The audio display and controls (knobs, buttons, bars) of the audio-HVAC display module are dim or are dark.

PROBABLE CAUSE

Faulty audio unit.

VEHICLES AFFECTED

CORRECTIVE ACTION

*Replace the audio unit. Refer to service bulletin 06 001 Audio, Navigation, and RES Unit In-Warranty Exchange, and Audio and DVD Player Out-of-Warranty Repair.*

PARTS INFORMATION

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

In warranty: The normal warranty applies.

Operation Number: 010149

Flat Rate Time: 0.5 hour

Failed Part: Use the RM part number
    (from the repair order)
    without the RM. Example:
    39175-SDN-A11

Defect Code: 03214

Symptom Code: 03272

Skill Level: Repair Technician

Out of warranty:
    Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. *Go to service bulletin 06-001,Audio, Navigation, and RES Unit In-Warranty Exchange, and Audio and DVD Player Out-of-Warranty Repair, for instructions on ordering a remanufactured audio unit.*

2. If you can read the audio display, write down your customer's radio station presets.

3. Remove the audio-HVAC display module:

^ Refer to page 22-371 of the 2003-06 Accord service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords DIS MOD, and select Audio-HVAC Display Module Removal/Installation from the list.

4. Remove the faulty audio unit from the audio-HVAC display module:

^ Refer to page 22-372 of the 2003-06 Accord service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords DIS PAN, and select Audio-HVAC Display Panel Removal/Installation from the list.

5. Transfer the left and right brackets from the faulty audio unit to the remanufactured audio unit. If the remanufactured unit has a shipping cover and shipping screws, make sure you transfer them to the faulty unit being returned.

6. Install the remanufactured audio unit in the audio-HVAC display module. Then reinstall the audio-HVAC display module.

7. Enter the anti-theft code for the new audio unit. Enter your customer's radio station presets if you recorded them in step 2.

8. Make sure all of the functions of the audio unit and HVAC work properly.

9. Replace the sticker on your customer's anti-theft radio identification card with one of the new stickers that show the anti-theft code. Apply the other sticker that shows the anti-theft code onto the vehicle history file copy of the repair order.

10. Remove all old serial number stickers from the side of the glove box or inside the center console. Then apply the new sticker that shows only the serial number to the side of the glove box.

11. * Return the faulty audio unit to the parts department. Refer to 06-001, Audio, Navigation and RES Unit In-Warranty Exchange, and Audio and DVD Player Out-of-Warranty Repair for instructions on returning the audio unit.*

7. snkerr

snkerr Newbie

Just logged on with the same problem; 2004 EXV6 with 48000 miles-
    did anyone have success getting HONDA to extend the warranty and replace the unit per the TSB ?

8. pioneer903

pioneer903 Newbie

Here is cheap solution to repair Honda Accord 03 04 Radio and AC panel Display, Dim Screen, Dark light or no light. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, delegate this job to reliable people who's been doing this since 2005 with 100% money back guarantee. Links: http://jycomputerservices.com/2013/10/honda-radio-03-04-accord-display-dim-screen-repair-fix/
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121171250734?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

9. Bko1

Bko1 Newbie

Here is an update for repairing the radio display, I found a company named OEM Car Audio LLC. in Burnsville MN that repairs these Honda radios, I had the backlighting go out and they quoted me $180.00 for my radio to repair it, depending on the model of radio with or without navigation it could be more. They may also fix other issues but I did not inquire.
    OEM Car Audio, LLC, 952-707-6200
    12105 12th Ave S
    Burnsville, MN 55337

10. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

northern car tech
    Ok, I am confused.

Where is the fix.o_O:pizza: This site is normally for ppl that want to fix their own stuff.

Probably just a capacitor or resistor that went south and is a known issue.

This is an old thread revived but I don`t see any schematics. So I found this video.

You need soldering skills. But doable.

11. nickb2

northern car tech
    There is no reason to spend so much money for such a simple repair.

But since this is an old thread, I think this guy that made this video has it down pat. I have done a few myself. Common issue.

12. nickb2

northern car tech
    If some that come on this thread, watch this video if you have the patience on how to check for PCB board repair.

13. Bko1

Bko1 Newbie

Ok, first there is a problem with this simple repair. the video you found is for a fluorescent vacuum tube display the one this thread is referring to is an LCD backlit display so the repairs are not the same.
    The LCD display repair is to a resister in a light driver circuit, and most of the components are surface mount components so unless you have SMD soldering experience I wouldn't delve too deep into it.
    Yes this site is for people that want to fix it themselves but when they can't they should know about alternatives and not have to be at the mercy of the dealer.
    Hope this helps

14. nickb2

northern car tech
    Ok, my last comment came out wrong. My links were maybe to intensive for a DIYr.

Nickd is very good at these PCB boards. I know I have fixed a few and love fixing PCB`s myself and for clients. Indeed, there is a learning experience involved.

I have given this link out often here. It helped me in the past and the site continues to evolve. http://www.bcae1.com/repairbasicsforbcae1/repairbasics.htm

15. Bko1

Bko1 Newbie

DIY is fine, however the hack they are using for fixing the LCD display is to bypass a resistor in the circuit, if you know anything about circuit design you know that a resistor is put in as a current limiter or voltage drop. From what I could see in the various videos the resistor being bypassed was in the base of a driver or switching transistor that controlled the back lighting, without knowing how critical that resistor or its value bypassing it is not a good idea. It could cost you the whole radio if it burns something up.
    Without the schematic for the particular radio you have no idea of the value of the resistor, in my case the back lighting is intermittent, this tells me it's probably a cold solder joint, so I will remove the radio and disassemble as necessary to inspect the PC board with a 10x magnifying glass to find the bad solder connection and re-solder it to fix it.