2004 Honda Odyssey Fuel Filter

I'm having trouble with my 2004 Honda Odyssey stalling when the gas gets low in the car. I don't believe it's the fuel pump because when I filled the car up it ran fine all week until the tank was less than 1/4 of a tank again. How do I change the fuel filter? I saw a post on a 2006 Honda odyssey where there was an access panel was under the second row seating, which I wasn't able to find. (I did find my spare tire) Can someone please help and advise. Thank you

I think your fuel filter is in the tank..Part of the module....There should be an access cover under the carpet under the rear seats...You can look under th vehicle where the tank is and get an idea about where the access panel is...Jim

Does it stall while you are driving it?....does it sputter like running out of gas or just die....Will it start right back up when it does this?....and it only does it when under 1/4 tank?....sorry for all the questions....just trying to get a better idea of what it is doing....Jim

In-tank fuel pumps are cooled two ways. Fuel that is pumped through it cools it down, and being submerged in fuel cools it down. At a lower level of fuel, pump is no longer surrounded by liquid fuel. It may lose power due to lack of cooling by external contact with fuel. A worn pump may need this external cooling to provide adequate performance.

Jim, here are the answers to the questions you asked:

Does it stall while you are driving it? Yes, but only under 1/4 of a tank or the the reserve light comes on
Does it sputter like running out of gas or just die? Does both, but once again only under 1/4 of a tank or the the reserve light comes on
Will it start right back up when it does this? Sometimes. I drove it to the station yesterday and filled it up and now it's working fine again
It only does it when under 1/4 tank? Correct

Jim, I much appreciate the help

Danica,

Thank you for the feedback. I did take the pump out last night and replaced it with a Non-OEM pump from advanced auto parts and changed the filter. The car would not start. (Filter was badly worn) I had to take the unit apart again, put the old pump in with a NEW filter and it started right up. Granted, I have a full tank now, so I'm not sure if my problem is fixed or it will start happening again once the tank get down to less than 1/4 tank. Any additional feedback would be great. .

KC

billr

wrench
Staff member
This is starting to sound ugly. Are you saying with the full tank, new pump and filter it wouldn't start; then with the old pump back in, but same (new) filter and (full) tank it would? Even very good brands of pumps can fail prematurely, but few pumps, of any brand, won't work for at least a brief time. This one could, of course, have been a defective or abused one that was returned by someone else and then re-sold to you. I would sure press Advanced for an explanation (and refund). If they do some testing and can convince you the new pump is really okay, then the possibilities for the problem to recur increase. What do you mean by the filter being "worn", was it visibly coated with crud? Do you still have the old filter, available for taking/posting pictures?

Bill,

All your statements above are correct. I just replaced the pump. Honda direct sell the whole assembly and pump as one unit. I turned over the car several times with the "NEW" Pump and could not get it started. Took everything apart and put in the "OLD" pump, but "NEW" filter and started fine. My plan is to return the pump shortly. Per your request here is a picture of the "OLD" filter: (Having trouble posting the picture. )

billr

wrench
Staff member
The upload folder is full, I'll probably have to wait until tomorrow to post OP's fuel-filter pic.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Still can't upload the pic. It looks fairly clean to me, except that dark spot right opposite of where the pump suction port is (opposite side in photo). What ensures the top and bottom of the filter stay separated so that all the filter area is available? Is there a chance that lower surface, the one shown in photo, can get sucked against the suction port so that really only that 8-10mm diameter area is available for fuel flow? I'll keep trying to upload picture during the day.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Another try...

Edit: Well, it went, but coloring and resolution is worse than what I see on the "original". Not much use, I'm afraid.

Attachments