2004 rear wiper wont shut off

Make
Buick rendezvous
Model
Buick rendezvous
Year
Miles
Engine
Have 2004 buick rendezvous. The rear wipers wont turn off. Pulled the fuse out. The fuse is good. What else do i need to look for and how to resolve the issue on my own.

jd

I haven't worked on wiper motors for years, maybe decades. My recall is, they can look like they aren't shutting off when you've turned them off, but they get to hunting for the "park" position.

I also recall something had to be grounded. Has there been any work done back there, that could have disturbed something?

How much time and money are you willing to spend on this problem?

Do the wipers stop when you pull the Fuse? If the wiper stops, you could fix this inexpensively by replacing the Fuse with Wire to a Switch and an in line Fuse. You'd probably lose speed or interval selection.

I haven't worked on wiper motors for years, maybe decades. My recall is, they can look like they aren't shutting off when you've turned them off, but they get to hunting for the "park" position.

I also recall something had to be grounded. Has there been any work done back there, that could have disturbed something?

How much time and money are you willing to spend on this problem?

Do the wipers stop when you pull the Fuse? If the wiper stops, you could fix this inexpensively by replacing the Fuse with Wire to a Switch and an in line Fuse. You'd probably lose speed or interval selection.

Wiper did stop wheni removed the fuse. Me and my dad put the fuse bac in and it worked fine for a hot minute. Put the switch in its off Postion then it started again. So im trying to figure out if i need to replace the swiitch or the circuit board for that.

Do you even use it? The rear windows are nearly vertical, strong vacuum back there that sucks up road salt and dust, if you do turn them on really leaves scratch marks on that rear window, kind of a self destructive device.

Most likely the parking switch is not making good contact, question is, can it be cleaned or all glued together where they want you to replace the wiper motor.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-20815337-Original-Equipment-Window/dp/B00557QI0Y

Testing for power at the GRY wire (gray) at the motor...there should be power (12 volts) there with rear wiper switch ON, no power with switch OFF. Test with connector removed from motor. If your 12 volt test light goes off and on in relation to the position of rear wiper switch, the switch is not the problem. Another thing to check would be yellow wire...should have power when ignition switch is ON.
1528208582207.png

Last edited:
Testing for power at the GRY wire (gray) at the motor...there should be power (12 volts) there with rear wiper switch ON, no power with switch OFF. Test with connector removed from motor. If your 12 volt test light goes off and on in relation to the position of rear wiper switch, the switch is not the problem. Another thing to check would be yellow wire...should have power when ignition switch is ON.
View attachment 10115
Is this for under the hood or in my rear hatch where the wiper is.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
My guess, the logic board in the motor stuck to the run position or the park signal is fried. Much like JD said. It is not getting to park, but in this case, it is not mechanical like back in the day. There is a park and run signal, the park signal cuts motor only when it senses the arm position in its "home" position, allowing wiper to "go home" even when you shut the switch off in the instrument panel. That way, you are not stuck having a wiper in the middle of your rear glass every time you turn off power with main switch in dash board.

That is why it has two power sources. The yellow wire which is on same fuse which is called accessory power @ motor is the only reason it exists, for this very purpose. If not, the whole system could run with the yellow wire going to I/P wiper switch. But then, it would be more costly to invent a mechanical park system, and also be bigger than a logic board as it needs a gear and pawl type system with grooves and what not.

Sadly, the logic board is not serviceable, must swap the whole motor unit.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The fact that it won't work now after putting fuse back in, probably means there is a transistor or two in the logic board that opened or shorted, which is basically an on off switch which is fried.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
We used to see alot of ford escapes with burnt out rear wiper motors due to a similar logic boards shorting out. Very similar design.

Notice same power wire arrangement. One power wire bypassing the relay/main switch to permit return to park. Notice same park and run signal, diode and transistor/switch.

Screenshot (230).png

My guess, the logic board in the motor stuck to the run position or the park signal is fried. Much like JD said. It is not getting to park, but in this case, it is not mechanical like back in the day. There is a park and run signal, the park signal cuts motor only when it senses the arm position in its "home" position, allowing wiper to "go home" even when you shut the switch off in the instrument panel. That way, you are not stuck having a wiper in the middle of your rear glass every time you turn off power with main switch in dash board.

That is why it has two power sources. The yellow wire which is on same fuse which is called accessory power @ motor is the only reason it exists, for this very purpose. If not, the whole system could run with the yellow wire going to I/P wiper switch. But then, it would be more costly to invent a mechanical park system, and also be bigger than a logic board as it needs a gear and pawl type system with grooves and what not.

Sadly, the logic board is not serviceable, must swap the whole motor unit.

The motor in the hatch for the wiper right. Well so far it hasnt happened yet. So if it does act up then ill know what i have to do. Good thing i know alittle. Thanks

The fact that it won't work now after putting fuse back in, probably means there is a transistor or two in the logic board that opened or shorted, which is basically an on off switch which is fried.
No it works. Just not sure if its gonna do it again.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Now if you notice here, this japanese model has a more sturdy and serviceable construction. The logic board for park/run is in the relay itself. So if there is a problem, only the relay needs to be serviced and not the entire motor assembly.

Screenshot (232).png