Make
Cadillac
Model
SRX AWD
Year
Miles
Engine
3.6 Liter V6
Cadillac 2005 SRX AWD with 3.6L engine was misfiring and did not have much power and using a lot of gas. My daughter took it to a local parts store and they told her it needed a new catalytic converter on bank 2. A new one was installed it seemed like it helped with the misfiring and power for a short time. A few days later she was going to work and it died and would not start. I checked it with a code reader and it had fault codes 300,302,304,306,and 20024. I have changed the exhaust camshaft position sensor on bank two, installed new plugs, new crank shaft position sensor, canister purge solenoid valve the old one was in pieces. Checked fuel pressure it was 55 psi while cranking motor. When we tried to start it, it cranked for about 20 seconds and then started for about 3 seconds then died. It sounded like it back fired one or two times while cranking the motor. Going to check vacuum when I can get a gauge. But is there anything else I can do or check. I know this engine has a problem with the cam shafts chain but I don't hear any noise. Any help would be most appreciated.

wondering how long the CEL had been on before addressing problem 2-8 hours or I forget to check it ?
getting repair advice from a part store?? akin to taking medical advice from CVS.

You have a CODE reader, not a scanner ? - pretty limited is usefulness . esp on a cadi- very unfriendly DIY vehicle to work.

SUGGESTIONS...
Is engine firing or injectors working B2 - check fuse for "odd coil' underhood fuse box. Checking misfire codes...
The 20024 - this will need confirming - with a professional scanner...

Kev2
I'm not sure how long the cel was on I maybe able to find out. This is my daughter's car. She lives in another town. I accidentally cleared the codes ( all right I did it on purpose).
I hoped it would help. Now all the codes are gone according to my reader but the cel is on all the time. Even after it started for a few seconds no codes showed up. I'll check the things you said and reply.
Thanks for the help

Check the fuses don't just look.

the comment about code reader or scanner is the likely reason the code reader will not show a code, they are basic.

something about your descri[topn and fuse "ODD COILS" in underhood fuse box caught my eye...

I still am wondering about 20024 not a common format.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Have you pulled the spark plugs to check condition and take compression readings? Confirming that compression isn't obviously bad is the basic "first step" for engine diagnosis.

grcauto

Clearing codes never helps to fix a problem.
Misfires can destroy a cat.
Backfires.....Sounds like it's jumped time.....does it turn over evenly when cranking?.........Put a vacuum gauge on and see what you get during cranking.
We need to verify the basics.

wondering how long the CEL had been on before addressing problem 2-8 hours or I forget to check it ?
getting repair advice from a part store?? akin to taking medical advice from CVS.

You have a CODE reader, not a scanner ? - pretty limited is usefulness . esp on a cadi- very unfriendly DIY vehicle to work.

SUGGESTIONS...
Is engine firing or injectors working B2 - check fuse for "odd coil' underhood fuse box. Checking misfire codes...
The 20024 - this will need confirming - with a professional scanner...
Kev2 I am using an Actron CP9180 it says it is an autoscanner plus. I don't remember saing any thing about a fuse or odd coils. the fault P0024 according to some info I found says "Exhaust Camshaft Position Timing- Over- Advanced ( Bank 2 ). Could the cam position actuator cause this. Haven't had time to check the other things. I said I was a shade tree mechanic and it rained all day.
Backfires.....Sounds like it's jumped time.....does it turn over evenly when cranking?.........Put a vacuum gauge on and see what you get during cranking.
grcauto forgive me I don't know how this reply ended here. I'm just starting to use this forum. I am going to check the vacuum when I get a gauge. Thanks

grcauto

Kev2 I am using an Actron CP9180 it says it is an autoscanner plus. I don't remember saing any thing about a fuse or odd coils. the fault P0024 according to some info I found says "Exhaust Camshaft Position Timing- Over- Advanced ( Bank 2 ). Could the cam position actuator cause this. Haven't had time to check the other things. I said I was a shade tree mechanic and it rained all day.

grcauto forgive me I don't know how this reply ended here. I'm just starting to use this forum. I am going to check the vacuum when I get a gauge. Thanks
Should pull about 5" during cranking. If it's less and bouncy you've jumped time.

oops my bad - you said/posted even cylinder misfire - DUH I mentioned ODD cylinder fuse - the even or add banks are controlled by fuses even and odd- And I believe the VCT* is on that circuit.... SO that fuse controls alot of what you described...
EVEN COILs is fuse to check - diagrams later

*actuators

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@kev, sadly, vct actators are on a different fuse, but should be checked anyway, the main relay is the one that controls all this. So checking that first is primordial for this no start.

Screenshot (258).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Preo2/cam fuse does all the cam actuators BTW. But first we need to ascertain if the pcm is energizing the main relay control and move on from there.

I took time to check, fuel pump is not on main relay circuit. So normal to have fuel pressure, but if actuators not getting oil pressure, will sound like engine jumped time, low compression, misfire codes etc.

I totally agree as Kev said that the even coil fuse should be checked, but these PDC (power distribution centers) are notorious for cooking inside, so checking continuity in the PDC is also very important BEFORE throwing useless parts at this car.

Also, as Billr said, checking compression is always a must. I had a caddy srx in the other day with a 2.8l t in for misfire codes, compression was 60 on cyl 3, did not go any further there, told client we needed to go further into engine as it was no use diagnosing electrical.

Last edited:
grcanto and all who have helped thank you. I checked Pre02 fuse ok. Checked all fuses ok, checked PDC, installed new main relay also. Found the vacuum hose to the master brake cylinder was disconnected. Thought I had found the problem. Connected it and cranked engine over. Hose came off again. connected vacuum gauge to that hose and cranked engine over again. It blew my gauge adapter out of the the hose and also one of the hoses that connect to each side of the intake manifold. Sounds like some valve or valves are bad or would just being out of time cause this. If it could how do you time this thing?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Wow, I gotta ask... does this engine have a belt or chain/gears? Is it an interference engine?

billr, from everything I have heard it has a timing chain and gears. Don't know meaning of interference engine. I would call it something else!!!!!