2005 Cadillac SRX AWD with 3.6L engine won't start

nickb2 you sent a diagram of the engine control diagram 1. Is there somewhere I could get a complete diagram of the ignition and engine?

jd

It's Chains, Tensioners, etc. Galore! At least they're all on one end unlike that terrible 4.0 Ford.

I tried some lookups, and it seems this V6is "Northstar V8 Family." The site I found this pic on calls the engine "interference." And includes a warning to STOP DRIVING the car once the noises start. I hope my notes here acknowledge northstarperformance adequately and don't violate somebody else.

grcauto

billr, from everything I have heard it has a timing chain and gears. Don't know meaning of interference engine. I would call it something else!!!!!
Interference of valves hitting top of pistons when out of mechanical time. Be prepared for the worst. BENT VALVES.....Yikes..
FIRST:
Check that the exhaust is not plugged. Take out O2 sensors and see if it does the same.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
nickb2 you sent a diagram of the engine control diagram 1. Is there somewhere I could get a complete diagram of the ignition and engine?

Sadly shadetree, I can only download white on black pdf's.
And since I am to lazy to copy paste snapshot all the pages you asked me for, you should still be able to make out the schematics.

I hope they help.

Obviously you don't want to print all that out being white on black, you will kill me when you see the cost of ink. ;)

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
In regards to JD's post, you will notice 1 primary chain tensioner, and two secondary one also, and of important note here, all oil pressure loaded.

So if you do attack the chain in this beast of modern marvel, you may want to do an engine flush, BEFORE. That way, you will go in there maybe seeing it clean, and maybe those oil passages for the tensioners, will have a fighting chance to not skip time again, if that is in fact the case.

When you open one of these commadores up, you will notice if the client used the proper oil. HIGHLY recommended by gm to not use anything else but 5w30 in these and if you use cheap oil, you will notice the inside cooks quick cuz these like to run hotter than normal and that will eventually gum up your VVT cam actuators.

Here is a pristine example of what I am talking about. This engine had no chance in hell of making a high mileadge engine due to obvious lack of maintenance.

umr-engines-holden-ve-vz-timing-chain-page-slacks-creek-vz-timing-chain-l-c99ff7d0bcd902f8.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The VZ engine is nice when it is well maintained, but they go south quick once you loose track of maintenance.

These engines remind me of the 3.6's dodge is pushing out lately. Boy do those suck large. Now mind you, the only ones I have actually torn into, are police interceptors, so tons of idle time with frequents bouts of go daddy go type driving. but I bet my dime on a dollar that dodge is going to be paying some techs some overtime in the near future.

Square cam on cyl five seems to be something that will be a favorite. One thing I know for sure, I won't be seeing those v6's doing 400 to 500k km's. For that to happen, you need to have worked on a few caddies to know, if you put in normal mineral oil, your screwed from the get go.

Last edited:
Sadly shadetree, I can only download white on black pdf's.
And since I am to lazy to copy paste snapshot all the pages you asked me for, you should still be able to make out the schematics.

I hope they help.

Obviously you don't want to print all that out being white on black, you will kill me when you see the cost of ink. ;)
nickb2 thanks for all your help. will let you know how things all turn out.

The LY7 3.6L is not an interference engine.

It is a VVT with 4 actuators, I would expect a CMP code if it were to be out of time- jumped time- as the CMP, any one of the 4 were displaying a conflict with CKP TDC- correlation...

All codes are same bank- thinking was what is in common? fuse I mentioned was injectors and coils -basics spark, fuel compression...would my next thought

Attachments

I was going to look at TSB;s oy vey dats a bunch of TSB;s

Suggest a scan and post all codes and will see what may apply....