2005 dodge caravan

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by briangearhead, Sep 13, 2017.

1. briangearhead

briangearhead Jr. Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: dodge
    MODEL: caravan
    YEAR: 2005
    MILES: 160***
    ENGINE: 3.8
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....I just recently bought this van and I can't get the side doors to work this van has the automatic sliding doors on both sides .. They open manually but not with the remote or the buttons inside to open them ? I've done some research and a lot of the info I've found says to check the track in the bottom of the doors where the door slides , wires will break there ? So I've done a visual inspection on these "bundle" of wires but nothing stood out like broken wires.. Does any one know if and what wires I could possibly check with a test light to see if there is even power getting to the doors ?

2. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

The broken wire is usually hard to spot because it is inside a sheath inside the pivoting segments of the flextrack. I usually loosen the harness at the door end, then carefully pry off the end segment and slide it down the harness a couple inches to give me "room to work" when I pry apart other segments for inspection or repair. Usually find broken wire about 4-6 inches from the "door end" of the harness. Usually the larger black one.

3. briangearhead

briangearhead Jr. Member

Thank you for the advice .. I'll give that a shot .. ☺

4. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    If you say power sliding doors do not work on both sides, I would start by checking the fuse first.

Each sliding door has it's own module. So checking B+ and ground to both modules is a must first as both do not operate. On both connectors, your wt/rd wires are your B+, so they probably share the same fuse. This would be a nice test light point to check before going any further.

Grounds are different. Left side is bk/wt and right is just black. The BCM controls the modules via PCI BUS line.

See PDF included here for connector views and which pins are which.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Fuse 31 in your IPM is for your sliding doors. SO as I said before, one fuse controls both sides going to the modules. See snapshot below. Screenshot (1).png

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    So, to repeat myself, I would not start fussing with the flex tracks as of yet if no power is going to the modules to run the motors. Highly unlikely both flex tracks have same wires cut on both sides at same time. But hey, anything can happen. But focus on why both don't have power if the fuse 31 is good. If fuse is blown, it takes quite an amp spike to blow a 40 amp fuse. Either there is a direct short or one of the sliding door motors are asking to much amperage.

But to not confuse you, start by that fuse and work back towards doors.

7. briangearhead

briangearhead Jr. Member

Well thanks for the advice .. But I ended up finding out the both doors had a broken wire, I believe it was a black with a red stripe .. I fixed the wires and now both doors are working great .. Thanks again for your time