2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Power windows

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by abrad, Aug 22, 2011.

1. abrad

abrad Full Member

Hello all

2005 Grand Caravan drivers side power window just stopped working (thankfully it was in the up position!). One thing I have noticed is that with the headlights on, when I try the power window switch, the lights DIM ever so slightly. I am thinking possible either a motor issue or a connection issue, but have not yet taken anything apart to start checking. The passenger window still works fine, as do the two rear windows, so if they are all connected, then that would rule out a bad fuse.

The first thing I wanted to check (and what should be the simplest) was to verify that the fuse was still good. Going thru the owners manual there is exactly one line that notes the fuse (25 amp) for the power windows is located under the instrument panel by the steering column (however, there are multiple pages on how to program the radio or on how to use the various cup holders!). I looked under the dashboard but see nothing that even remotely resembles a fuse block. It is actually the most uncluttered under dash area I have ever seen in a vehicle. I checked the fuse box located under the hood on the drivers side, and that at least had a diagram that labeled most of the fuses, but nothing showing power windows.

Anybody have any experience with these? Thanks for the help.

Andy

2. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

If the other windows are working it is not a fuse...sounds like a bad motor....I would pull the door panel off and make sure something is not binding up and then apply power to the window motor and see if it will work...Jim

3. The old man

The old man Hero Member

One of the problems with power window motors is that the brushes wear down to where they no longer make good contact. Had to replace both sides on my 2003 Chrysler van. One way to check is while you have the door panel off, hit the motor with a small hammer. Most of the time if it is bad brushes, that will loosen them up a little and the motor will start running and lower or raise the window. It may work for a little while that way or stop on you the next try, but it will eventually stop again on you . You will eventually have to get a new motor or assembly. On my Chrysler van I had to buy the whole assembly because you couldn't buy just the motor because of the way the cables were routed through the motor. A friend of mine with a 1002 Chrysler vans window did that and I told him to hit the inside of with his fist, He did and it worked and he has been doing that for quite some time, every time he wants the window down. He is too cheap to fix it right.
    Being the curious type person I am, I took the housing off of the old window regulator unit and found some old real small brushes in another 12v power seat motor that I wasn't using and ground them down to replace the worn down brushes in the old motors. It worked great. Now I have two window regulators hanging on a nail in my garage. May put them on craigs list, but as soon as I would do that, one of the regulators would probably stop working. LOL

4. abrad

abrad Full Member

Thanks Jim - that was my line of thinking as well (with the other windows operational), but I just wanted to 100% rule out a fuse (the obvious things are what always cause the most problems!). Now, with the cryptic 1 line comment, and the fact that I am not easily seeing a fuse block/panel under the dash, my bullheaded stubburn side wants to check tat fuse all the more. I probably won't be able to pull the door panel until the weekend. I know when I do pull the panel, I will end up making this into a big job, cause the power sliding door also has some open/close issues, which I think are connected to the fuel fill door, but that is a whole nuther topic/post.

If anyone knows where the power window fuse really is, I woul still like to know ;D

Thanks,
    Andy

5. NickD

NickD wrench

How is it even possible to open a door on these or any vehicle in the rain without getting your power window switches soaking wet?

[​IMG]

And none of them are water proof. Its always the drivers door first, most used. Switches get soak with water and corrode, outside of the door should be well sealed to keep out water, but the inside is not that well sealed, so water also gets on the motor to corrode it as well. All doors have drain holes, if they plug, that water makes new holes with major rust areas.

Least your window is up, not my luck at an Illinois toll booth, went down, but wouldn't go back up again with a major thunderstorm. Did make it home, but both the inside of the car was soaking wet as well as me. The commutators on the window motor armature were corroded green. Least with every sunroof vehicle I have owned, provided a hand crank, so why don't they do that with power windows? And what do you do, if you left your car outside with the windows down, then your battery decides to go dead?

First thing to check is the motor by applying 12 V in both directions to raise and lower the window. If dead the motor has to be removed. Make sure the window is propped up, have to remove the linkage. Seen guys crash these so you have a thousand pieces of glass. Can also be the switch, these can be taken apart and cleaned, but four DPDT spring loaded switches. Those springs can fly all over the place.

6. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Power windows on that vehicle use a circuit breaker, located at the driver side kick panel. Roughly the size of a pack of cigarettes. Looks like it's mounted close to firewall, above brake pedal.

Make sure your glass is not simply stuck to the rubber weatherstrip. It happens...