2005 Dodge Magnum, ESP/BAS MIL illuminated in dash, No brakes.

CHUCK06

2005. Dodge Magnum was being used to jumpstart a 2003 Prius, During this operation, the positive cable was hooked to the positive jump terminal and the ground cable was grounded to the chassis. On the prius the cables were crossed. Now no brakes, pedal goes to the floor, barely stopping the vehicle, MIL on in dash. reads ESP BAS, what happened. My only resources to help on this one is the internet.

CHUCK06

just to make sure I was clear, as I may not have been, the magnum is the one with the issue, I have not messed with the prius yet, I will have to do that tomorrow.

LynnM

Too risky to jump start cars today IS the Prius even 12 V Check all the fuses - ABS and such

CHUCK06

Yeah the prius is 12v, and the starting battery is a normal battery. CORRECTION on the ground cable location on the magnum during jump attempt. The cable was grounded to one of the brake lines that go directly into the ABS box on the magnum. I'm sure that is not a circuit protected from reverse polarity.

Typically Base braking system is designed to work even if ABS is non-functional. I wonder if an ABS pressure valve was powered to closed (blocking) or open (release) and then welded into position.

Does this car use a vacuum booster or are the brakes assisted hydraulically?

How do the brakes work with key off or engine off?

CHUCK06

It has a vacuum boost, with the engine off, you can push the pedal all the way to the floor with only a gentle resistance, the resistance does not increase after many pumps. With the engine running the pedal goes to the floor and only with the pedal firmly applied will the vehicle not roll. I did notice that when firmly holding the pedal down the engine rpm changes, up when firmly applied brake and seems to bog down when releasing the pedal.

I guess I would try bleeding the brakes just to see what happens. Might get some clues. Might just have air in the system (but don't ask me how it got there).

A battery puts out a lot of amps when the positive goes to ground and very quickly. Is there a posibility that you fried the seals in the master cylinder when you had those cables hooked to the brake line when they were reversed by boiling the brake fluid? I would imagine that the fluid would get pretty hot, pretty quick and ruin the seals. Just a thought. I had a neighbor that had a 2001 chrysler and one of the local auto parts store put the battery cables on backwards when they were replacing her battery and ruined a lot of her components on her car. They had insurance and it cost that auto parts store insurance company around $3000 in replacement parts and labor etc. before they got her vechicle back to normal.
Also when putting 12 volt dc voltages together, would it not also increase the amperage through the cables? If so, not only would you have the original amperage of your charged battery, you would also be adding the amperage of the other battery that you are hooking up, and putting a lot more amps to ground on your brake lines. I guess Nickd probably could answer that question because I am not real sure what happens in that case.

the dodge -
2005 magnum 3.5L

the CEL is on - can you access codes? ALL modules -
the "odometer' is displaying ESP/BAS ? that is where I am a little confused...
And the NO BRAKES are issue only AFTER the jump start attempt.....

This seams harmless enough to get started...
Asked my mopar friend for some guidence will add what I learn later

ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM (ESP)
If the vehicle is equipped with ESP, once the battery is reconnected, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) needs to be calibrated. The SAS requires calibration anytime the battery or an ABS (ESP) component has been disconnected for any length of time. If the SAS is not calibrated following battery reconnection, the ESP/BAS indicator lamp is illuminated following 5 ignition cycles indicating the need for calibration.

To calibrate, perform the following:

1.Start the engine.

2.Center the steering wheel.

3.Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the internal stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the wheel all the way to the right until the opposite internal stop in the steering gear is met.

4.Center the steering wheel.

5.Stop the engine.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I gotta ask... when the jumper cables were connected, reversed polarity and grounded at the Magnum to the brake line, was there any sparking at the last cable-clamp attached; do we know for sure that current went some place where it wasn't intended?

kev2

wrench
It sounds like you did not scan ALL the modules- only the gereric P codes....can you ck B. U. C codes ?

Taking a swag- try to "reset"

CHUCK06

Cleared the codes. Turns out the heat did in fact flash boil the brake fluid, Performed brake system flush and bled brakes. FIXED! Thanks for the help.