2005 Honda Accord Front Brake Pads

jd

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Honda
MODEL: Accord
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 125000 mi
ENGINE: 3.0V6 Auto
DESCRIBE ISSUE.... Went to install new DG959 front brake pads . The Bolts that pass through Caliper, then Grease Boot, then thread into the Caliper Bracket, don't want to loosen. I don't think it's corrosion. The bottom of this car is VERY Clean, original paint on body and suspension parts, no visible rust or corrosion.
Bolt Heads are 14mm/9/16". When I peel the Grease Boot back I see a HEX Wrench Surface. I'm thinking it's "Jam Nutted" somehow, not that the Bolts are stuck where they thread into the Caliper Bracket.
Hoping to get this done before Christmas Dinner. HELP! How does this work?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Post a picture.

Hardware I see at Advance Auto looks different than you describe. Are you sure you are turning the bolts counter-clockwise, but from the backwards orientation? Easy to get this mixed up.
2005 Honda Accord EX 3.0L 2977CC V6 FI VIN: J30A4

jd

It's :fixed: All the write-ups and you-tubes I found showed the Caliper Slide Bolt as 12MM, and this was 14MM. I'd found that hex surface, which is at the bottom end of the two long pins on the left side of Dan's picture. Before that I didn't understand the Caliper Slide Bolt was a two-piece affair. My wrenching was turning the hex on the long piece when I turned the 14MM, instead of backing the short bolt out of the long one. Looked it up on RockAuto and found pix similar to what Dan posted above. When I saw two pieces, I knew I should hold the hex of the long pin with a wrench while I loosened the short 14MM bolt. I think that hex might be 18MM, but if I have that wrench, I couldn't find it. 17MM was too small, 19MM was really sloppy, and 3/4" worked out OK. I was careful about the upside down and backwards part of rightie-tightie/lefty-loosie.
Those little 14MM guys were TIGHT! I'm thinking it took 50-60 to get them loose, but they weren't LocTite'd or anything like that. Once the heads popped loose, came out finger tight. Only had to take the short bottom bolt out on each side. Caliper swings up on the upper Slide Bolt. Retract Piston with Spreader, remove old/install new, lower bolt each side, pump brakes each side (didn't have overflow!) and :fixed: Wheels on and DONE! She's on her way to the rest of Christmas and so are we.
Thanks Dan, Thanks EVERYBODY at BAT!
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, A Safe, Healthy, Joyous 2018!