2005 silverado "service brake system" announcement

roser601

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab pickup with the 5.3 engine. Recently I started getting the dinger going off and the message " Service Brake System" on my dash display. The message lasts only for a couple of seconds and disappears.
This might repeat 3 or 4 times as I drive around town. I have checked my diagnostic codes and dont have any stored.
Can anyone tell why this display is appearing and what I should look for to correct it?

Just a thought...have you checked the brake fluid level?....I will check more on the message...Jim

2005, but we do not know how many miles or if you have had the brakes replaced yet.

As brakes wear down, brake fluid has to go down also. This is normal and as Jim says may be your situation. Check that and add some as necessary.

Not to sound pessimistic, when this happens, typically there is a brake fluid leak someplace. And just at the point where the brake fluid level switch is at the edge of being triggered. If you give it some time, will be on all the time.

roser601

Thanks for all the good advice. It wa my brake fluid level indeed that was low triggering the warning message!
I topped it off and the warning went away. I will keep an eye on it in the future to see if it drops and will search for a leak if need be. THANKS AGAIN!