Make
Lexus
Model
GS 300 AWD
Year
Miles
Engine
V6 3.0L
My daughter driving and comes to a stop at stoplight and cars dies? Tried restarting and engine would crank but not start. After pushing car to side of road someone tried to jumpstart and didn’t work. She had car towed home following day and tow guys tried to start and starts right up? He says it’s a bad fuel pump? According to daughter the VSC warning light had been on for over a month, but other than this the car was running fine. Why would engine stall at light, crank but not start but start next day? We have not driven the car since this happened 3 weeks ago (I was traveling and just returned to deal with this). A friend pulled the codes and here is what came up: p0014, p0024, p0138, p0340, p0345, p0345, po365, p0390, p2198.

I know very little about cars, but since I am recently retired I do have time to tinker and try to fix. The only thing I know is the codes seems to be a camshaft position sensor (A and B and Banks 1 and 2). Any thoughts on where I should start. Also, I have no idea where all these sensors are located. Is there a resource anyone is aware of that I can get a diagram of locations? Or, based on the codes, is this too complex for a novice and should I just breakdown and take to a mechanic? Thanks all.

kev2

wrench
You comfort and skill level will need to be somewhat more than a DIYer. The trouble trees esp for some of the codes require wiring checks and a recommended scanner - with bidirectional ability. Below is a TSB that will you need to confirm was done or not as it involves several codes on list.
Taking a SWAG and my hopeless optimism I suggest you - I am serious engine oil.
1) discuss engine oil change routine, Engine oil MAY contribute to several codes P00xx type and others P034x.
2) check engine oil - maybe a stuck (varnish/sludge) on VVT solenoids. try oil & filter, risolone oil detergent.

Now for some resources - You already PAID for it just need to get access - your local library* is start, you want access to EBSCO and the data base for automate? or AARC? dont worry research desk will get the user name and password for you.

L-SB-0092-09 TSB. re p0138 and p2198, somewhat low priority.

* for NJ residents a place where books are available for loan and other reading reference material.

grcauto

Likely will need to get into the heads. Not a job for the less experienced 'tinkerer'.

Ok everyone thanks for your help. The plot thickens. I spent 2-3 hours watching you tube and reading about codes. First thing I did is check the oil and it was very low. My daughter swears up and down she religiously checks the oil because this things burns through oil!! Put about three quarts to get it to the full line and fired it up. First thing I hear is a knocking sound. Shut the car off look underneath and there sits a big puddle of oil. Can't tell where it's coming from as the undercarriage didn't have any oil dripping? I think she's toast. 195K miles. I was hoping for 250K. Wishful thinking I guess. Car probably sprang a leak while she was driving and she lost the oil. I would think the warning lights would go off but she says prior to the car stalling no warning lights other then the VSC. I'll take it to a shop so they can officially call the time of death.

Ok everyone thanks for your help. The plot thickens. I spent 2-3 hours watching you tube and reading about codes. First thing I did is check the oil and it was very low. My daughter swears up and down she religiously checks the oil because this things burns through oil!! Put about three quarts to get it to the full line and fired it up. First thing I hear is a knocking sound. Shut the car off look underneath and there sits a big puddle of oil. Can't tell where it's coming from as the undercarriage didn't have any oil dripping? I think she's toast. 195K miles. I was hoping for 250K. Wishful thinking I guess. Car probably sprang a leak while she was driving and she lost the oil. I would think the warning lights would go off but she says prior to the car stalling no warning lights other then the VSC. I'll take it to a shop so they can officially call the time of death. oil leak.jpg