2007 Impala SS Excessive Oil Consumption TSB?

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by SPARTAN sui, May 12, 2011.

1. SPARTAN sui

SPARTAN sui Newbie

Hey guys, I'm new here, and I was wondering if I could get some help with a TSB? Basically my car is having an issue with excessive oil consumption, which apparently is a widespread issue with the LS4, 5. 3L v8 and AFM. I made an appointment with the local dealership to look at my car for that issue, and a couple of small oil leaks on the underside of the car. Not enough to drip oil, but enough to leave oil spray on the underside.

Anyways, I'm trying to educate myself as much as I can about the issue with the AFM, so I know what to expect in the near future, and what sort of procedures my car will be going through over the next few months. Personally, I'd like to deactivate the AFM, but I know that won't happen.

Here's some key facts that has been leading me to believe my car suffers from this issue.

• I've driven 3,000 miles and used about 3. 5 quarts of oil in that time period (a bit over 1 quart for 1,000 miles)
    • Most of them been highway miles from Bottineau, ND to Moorhead, MN (approx. 250 miles one way, 500 round trip)
    • I've owned my car for almost one year, only noticed it now, but I've been driving more these past few months then before. I've only put on about 5,900 miles since August all together, so 2,900 miles in 7 months vs. 3,000 miles in 4 months.
    To me it seems like I'm experiencing the same issue as others have reported with their vehicle.

I've owned my Impala since August 11th, I still have the bumper to bumper 12 month warranty, and powertrain warranty until February 2012.

My car is a 2007 Impala SS, with the 5. 3L v8 and has 48,236 miles.

If I could get some help with this I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks guys!

Edit: Oh, I should also mention I nearly ran out of oil to realize this! It was Monday afternoon after work, I got in my car and it told me oil low add oil. So I pop my hood and check my dipstick, it was almost dry! No black stuff was showing on it. So I got some oil and put in the 3. 5 quarts then. Now, am I having an issue with the sensor also? Shouldn't it tell me when it's down . 5 quarts or 1 quart? Maybe another thing to have the dealership look at?

2. EricC

EricC Hero Member

Shop Foreman, County Garage
    Home Page:
    Edited to bold pertinent information.

INFORMATION

Bulletin No.: 01-06-01-011E

Date: December 18, 2008
    Subject:
    Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines

Models:
    1998-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Gasoline Powered Light Duty Trucks Under 8500 LB GVW (Including Saturn)

2003-2009 HUMMER H2
    2006-2009 HUMMER H3
    2005-2009 Saab 9-7X

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011D (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

All engines require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. As a result, varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines.

Oil Consumption

The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).
    Important: Certain models have a new GM Extended Warranty. Please refer to the appropriate Owner's Manual for warranty information.

This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.
    Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.

Many factors can affect a customer's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Thoroughly evaluate each case before deciding whether the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.

Gasket and External Leaks

Inspect the oil pan and engine covers for leakage due to over-tightened, damaged, or out of place gaskets. Inspect oil lines and fittings for signs of leakage.

Improper Reading of the Oil Level Indicator (Dipstick)

Verify that the dipstick tube is fully seated in the block. When checking the oil level, make sure the dipstick is wiped clean before taking an oil level reading and fully depress the dipstick until the shoulder bottoms out on the dipstick tube. The dipstick should be the proper part number for the engine/vehicle that is being checked.
    Notice: Operating your vehicle with an oil level that is below the minimum level indicated on the engine oil dipstick can result in severe engine damage. Repairs resulting from operating an engine with insufficient oil are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Important: Refer to Owner Manual in SI for checking and adding engine oil.

Not Waiting Long Enough After Running Engine to Check Oil Level

Some engines require more time than others for the oil to drain back into the crankcase. To assure a sufficient amount of oil has drained back to the crankcase, and an accurate reading can be obtained, the vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 15 minutes, after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading. In order to ensure accurate results, the temperature of the oil should be close to the same temperature as the last time the oil level was checked.
    Important: This does not apply to some Corvette ZO6 equipped with the 7.0L LS7 engine (dry sump). Follow the instructions in the Owner's Manual for checking the oil in this application.

Improper Oil Fill After an Oil Change

Following an oil change, verify that the proper amount and type of oil was put in the engine and that the oil level on the dipstick is not above the full mark or below the add marks. Refer to the Owner's Manual or Service Manual for information on recommended oil quantity, viscosity, and quality.

Aggressive Driving, High Speed or High RPM Driving

Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds/high RPMs will increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected.

A higher rate of oil consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven aggressively. By "aggressive," we mean operation at high RPM (3,000 RPM to redline), with frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805 km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is necessary. This characteristic does, however, require the owner to check the engine oil level at sufficiently frequent intervals, especially when driving aggressively, to assure the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. As the Owner's Manual recommends, you should check the oil level every time you get fuel.

Towing or Heavy Usage

Towing a trailer will increase oil consumption and may cause oil consumption to fall below the normal accepted rate referenced in this bulletin for an unloaded vehicle in a personal use application. Large frontal area trailers will further increase the work required from the engine, especially at highway speeds, and thus increases the rate of oil consumption.

Crankcase Ventilation System

Verify that the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is operating properly. Blockages, restrictions, or damage to the PCV system can result in increased oil use.

Oil Dilution (Fuel and Water)

On vehicles that are usually driven short distances, less than 8 km (5 mi), especially in colder weather, unburned fuel and condensation generated from cold engine operation may not get hot enough to evaporate out of the oil. When this occurs, the dipstick may indicate that the oil level is over-full. Subsequent driving on a trip of sufficient length to enable normal engine operating temperature for 30 minutes or more, in order to vaporize excess moisture and fuel, may give the customer the impression of excessive oil consumption.

Engine Temperature

If an engine is run at overheated temperatures (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual) for more than brief periods, oil will oxidize at a faster than normal rate. In addition, gaskets may distort, piston rings may stick, and excessive wear may result. Verify that all cooling system components are in proper working order.

Engine Wear

Piston scuffing, excessive piston-to-wall clearance, tapered or out of round cylinders, worn, damaged or improperly installed valve guides, seals and piston rings will all cause an increase in oil consumption.

Measurement of Oil Consumption

Engines require a period of time to BREAK IN so that moving parts are properly seated. Therefore, oil economy should not be tested until the vehicle has accumulated at least 6400 km (4000 mi). An exception would be allowed only if an engine is reported to be using more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 1600 km (1000 mi).
    1. Verify that the engine has no external leaks. Repair as necessary.

2. Verify that the engine is at normal operating temperature (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual).

3. Park the vehicle on a level surface.

4. Wait at least 15 minutes, after the engine is shut off, before checking the oil level to make sure that the oil has had time to drain back into the crankcase.

5. Verify that the oil level is at, but not above, the full mark on the dipstick, and that the proper viscosity and quality oil are being used as recommended in the Owner's Manual.

3. Gus

Gus wrench

If you have a warranty, get it into the dealership....a quart of oil in 1K miles, is WAY under their limit...

4. SPARTAN sui

SPARTAN sui Newbie

Thanks for the TSB Eric, but I don't think that's for my vehicle? I think there's one that specifies the issue with Active Fuel Management. I appreciate the fast response!

Gus, I made an appointment and will be taking it in Wednesday. I was very alarmed when I saw I was almost completely out of oil. :-X I love this car, I'm hoping I don't have more issues with it. ouch

I have warranty until February 2012. The question is, if this is an ongoing issue and doesn't get resolved before then, would it still be covered once my warranty runs up?

5. NickD

NickD wrench

I didn't know about that with the Impala, with my GMcard, was offered $10K off a brand new one from my Chevy dealer. Told that to my Ford dealer, he said they better, he has a two year old Impala in his used car lot he can't get $12K for.

We had a GM vehicle with oil consumption like that, over a quart of oil every 1K of driving. GM never had a TSB on that 4.3L, but Fel-Pro had a cure for it with far superior valve seals. When you first fire up your engine when cold or sitting overnight, and you blowing smoke out the exhaust? Ours sure did. This was after having the engine steam cleaned and checking for external leaks.

A secondary problem is that the compression was low with all that carbon build up, decarbonized the engine and got the compression back up to 150 psi on all six, after the new valve seals were installed, oil consumption dropped to a half quart every 5,000 miles.

Not saying this is your problem, seem to read about intake manifold leaks on this engine, but mostly coolant, but saying there are symptoms to look for, like low compression and excessive carbon build up.

Did get a kick out of reading that posted TSB, GM is blaming everything else except themselves.

Just changed the engine oil yesterday on my 92 DeVille with a 120K on it, was a half a quart low with 5,000 miles on it. 04 Cavalier didn't use a drop after 6K of miles on the old oil, GM or somebody there does know how to design a good engine.

Can agree with many aspects of that TSB the way some guys change oil, filters ready to fall off, dipstick is never at the full level, drain plugs are cross threaded, really don't know how they do that, hoses knocked off. Just went back to changing the oil myself, can spend more time fighting this crap than doing it yourself.

Favorite places that sell oil and filters are now accepting recycled oil, its about time, so don't have to drive clear to the other side of town. Saw a kid at my dealers use an old dirty can to put oil in my car, caught the basterd red handed.

6. Gus

Gus wrench

If you bring it in to be fixed under warranty, and it still is a problem as the warranty runs out, it is still covered...

7. SPARTAN sui

SPARTAN sui Newbie

Nick, nope, no smoke when it's been colder and sitting over night. Yeah, it's really depressing that this engine is having this issue with massive oil consumption. I'm hoping they can fix it. >. <

Gus, that's good to hear, thanks!

8. NickD

NickD wrench

That oil is going someplace, a quart of oil consumed every 800 miles translates into losing only a bit more than a gram per mile. Not very much especially with a little here and a little there. Wind can blow it away as well as the oil being slowly burnt away. And these new engines require a lot of RTV, particularly at the rear seal. So just being wet can by your problem.

But let us let Chevy solve this problem. At least it is theirs. Another key parameter is the conscientiousness of your dealer. As a Chevy owner, can tell you that sure makes a huge difference.

9. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

I see 2 about oil leaks..Jim.........TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 05-06-01-034L

Date: July 23, 2010

Subject: 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L - Engine Oil Leak at Rear Cover Assembly Area (Engine Block Porosity RTV Repair Procedure)

Models:
    2004-2007 Buick Rainier
    2008-2009 Buick LaCrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)
    2005-2011 Cadillac CTS-V
    2007-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2003-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
    2003-2011 Chevrolet Corvette
    2004-2006 Chevrolet SSR
    2005-2011 Chevrolet Silverado, Silverado SS
    2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
    2006-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS, Impala SS
    2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
    2009-2010 Chevrolet Colorado Pickup
    2010-2011Chevrolet Camaro
    2003-2009 GMC Envoy
    2003-2011 GMC Sierra
    2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV
    2007-2011 GMC Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali
    2009-2011 GMC Canyon
    2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
    2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
    2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
    2005-2009 Saab 9-7X 5.3i
    2008-2009 Saab 9-7X Aero
    2003-2010 HUMMER H2
    2006-2010 HUMMER H3
    with 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L VORTEC(TM) GEN III or GEN IV V8 Engine (All Aluminum Block) (RPOs L33, LC9, LH6, LH8, LH9, LM4, LS4, LS1, LS6, L76, L77, LFA, LZ1, LS2, L92, L94, L99, L9H, LS3, LS9, LSA, LS7)

Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to add the 2011 model year and update the Warranty Information for the Corvette. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-01-034K (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine oil leak.

Cause

Upon initial diagnosis, it may be determined that the leak is coming from the rear cover gasket. This condition may be caused by engine block porosity on the sealing surface. This issue pertains to aluminum block applications only.

Correction

Follow the steps for Oil Leak Diagnosis in SI to determine the source of the leak. If the leak has been diagnosed as coming from the engine rear cover assembly, refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI and remove the engine rear cover assembly. Inspect the engine block and engine rear cover for porosity on the mating surfaces.

- If porosity is found on the engine rear cover (see illustration below), replace the engine rear cover assembly, GM P/N 12633579.
    - If porosity is found on the engine block, use the following procedure to apply RTV to repair the engine block porosity.

The porosity issue is in the gasket sealing surface at the top of the cover, near the high pressure oil crossover port. Refer to the picture below. The oil leaks by the gasket and runs down the side of the cover, and may appear to be a leak at the t-joint area of the cover. The fix is to replace the cover with GM P/N 12633579. Also, if porosity is found anywhere on the sealing surface of the engine block, use the following procedure to apply RTV to repair the engine block porosity. Refer to the illustration below.

Important
    Clean any residual oil from the block and cover before applying the sealant in the next step.

1. Wipe a small amount of RTV, P/N 12378521 (in Canada, use P/N 88901148), onto the surface using a plastic scraper to fill the porosity.
    2. Remove any excess RTV material, especially from inside the high pressure oil passage. Refer to #1 in the above illustration.
    3. The joint may be closed immediately after applying the RTV. Total joint time after the RTV has been applied must be under 20 minutes.

Important
    Refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI and follow the tightening specifications and sequence.

4. Reinstall the engine rear cover using a new gasket and a new crankshaft rear main seal. Refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI.

Parts Information

Important
    For Saab (U.S.) only, use P/N 88861206 - Engine Oil Dye (U.S.) or equivalent.

Warranty Information (excluding Saab U.S. Models)

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Warranty Information (Saab U.S. Models)

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Disclaimer

10. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 07-06-01-004A

Date: November 25, 2008

Subject:
    All Vortec(R) GEN IV V8 Engines - LY2 LS4 LC9 LH6 LMG LY5 LS2 L76 LY6 L92 LS7, Low Oil Level Indicator Lamp On and/or Engine Oil Leak (Reseal Oil Pressure Sensor)

Models

Supercede:

This bulletin is being updated to include a labor operation number for CTS-V and Corvette models. Please discard Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-01-004 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a low oil level indicator lamp on and/or engine oil leak. Upon further investigation, the technician may find that the oil leak is at the oil pressure sensor that is threaded into the valve lifter oil manifold (VLOM) assembly and/or engine valley cover.

Correction

If the engine oil leak was found to be at the engine oil pressure sensor, then remove the oil pressure sensor and reseal with a pipe sealant with Teflon or equivalent, P/N 12346004 (in Canada, P/N 10953480). Refer to Engine Oil Pressure Sensor and/or Switch Replacement in SI.

Parts Information

Warranty Information (excluding Saab U.S. Models)

Warranty Information (Saab U.S. Models)

Disclaimer

11. SPARTAN sui

SPARTAN sui Newbie

Hmm, thanks for posting those Jim. Well my car will be looked at in a few days, I'll have to see what the mechanic finds out.

Here's a couple pictures of where the stuff is leaking from:

img718. imageshack. us/img718/940/img4666yf. jpg

img703. imageshack. us/img703/4077/img4655zk. jpg

Copy and paste that in the address bar and take out the spaces to view.

12. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

I couldn't get the pics to come up...maybe someone else can....Jim

13. SPARTAN sui

SPARTAN sui Newbie

Oops, forgot about the "h t t p", it changes it to a "hxxp". Just take the 3 spaces out of the URL, and hit enter and it should bring you to the pictures.

14. SPARTAN sui

SPARTAN sui Newbie

Sorry for the double post, but it appears I might be in for another problem with my car. This happened to my brother in laws '08 Impala SS, his rear tires got chewed up all the way to where you could see the metal mesh of the tire on the inside. He only driven 10,000 miles and his tires were shot. I guess this is another common issue with Impala's, negative rear camber?

Is there a TSB on this issue? Or will I have to pay out of pocket to get this fixed?

My tires were brand new, but it seems like there's more wear on the inside of the rear tires then the outside. . .

And another issue I think I might have is an issue with the intermediate steering shaft. I saw there's a TSB on this issue, but a lot of people get it replaced and the issue comes back, even worse in some cases. Should I even bother mentioning this?

I feel and hear a small clunk when turning the wheel at slower speeds. . .

Ugh, this is so aggravating, this is my first new car, I've only put about 6,000 miles on it and I'm having all these issues. I feel like selling it but I love it too much. :(

15. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Those cars are still FWD, right? Camber, negative or positive, won't cause that kind of severe tire wear. I'm thinking the toe is way off, toed too much. Take them (at least his) to an alignment shop; sure, it will cost a bit, but if he is grinding tires down to the steel belt in only 10K miles it is costing in both tires and the extra power (gasoline) to grind them down.