2007 KIA Sedona Starter Intermittent

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by jd, May 16, 2014.

1. jd

jd Hero Member

V6 with 88,000 miles. Neighbor's car. Turn key to Start, sometimes cranks but usually nothing. Doesn't even hear a click. Will crank after half a dozen or so tries. Sometimes will crank in a few seconds just holding the key in Start. Doesn't need to shift or jiggle the gearshift so I don't suspect the neutral safety switch. New battery, clean connections.
    Before I set out to put a reman starter on it, anything else I should look at?
    Any tips/tricks to access and change the starter?
    THANKS!!!

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    This a remote idea, but i have fixed these imports, with new brass on solenoid. If all connectios ok and key works, would look to this. The brass is L shaped if memory serves right. Sometime they stick, huge amp draw and big problems. Anyways, check it out before putting in a new starter. Toyotas where notorious for this type problem. :thx cost is about 3 dollers :eek:
    here is a link to see the partshttps://www.google.ca/search?q=brass+fittings+for+starter&client=firefox-a&hs=vnc&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=fflb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=3_d1U_a8AZWLqAawsYDYDQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1064&bih=667#channel=fflb&q=brass+fittings+for+solenoid+starter&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=-M_-Y8dQaeepGM%253A%3BPB8xrwPTO3Q0FM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.sherco-auto.com%252Fimages%252FAES3411.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.sherco-auto.com%252Fcontacts.htm%3B258%3B312 i am talking about
    nick

3. jd

jd Hero Member

nick, you're saying the internal brass contact either stuck (big problems!) or pitted to where it doesn't reliably make contact, right? I've thought of taking it apart before replacing. Makes me think of the Delco starters where we could flip the parts over and go again.

4. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    yes, the internal contacts in solenoid. They stick on these imports, is it a nippon denso, i think maybe, will check and get back to you. Ok, checked, here is link, for picture [/url]http://www.ebay.com/bhp/kia-sedona-starter[/url] Just remove the 2 small bolts holding solenoid, check for burnt or stuck brass contacts. These contacts are hard to find but pretty much universal on these staters. Also check plunger for contact isues, if ok, may need a other starter, not hard to find in junkyard.

5. jd

jd Hero Member

Looked at it and decided to NOT do the project, at least for now. One, problem is intermittent. Two, car's essential to a trip over the weekend. Three, the thing looks very difficult to access and change. I I don't want to start something that might make the car unavailable.
    I'd really like to know if there's a Relay in the start circuit. Or anything in addition to Ignition Switch, Neutral Safety, and the starter-mounted Solenoid. Hate to go through what it takes to replace the Starter/Solenoid assembly and it not be the problem.
    Just read your reply, thanks for that and thanks for the link. I does seem that for this general group of starters, we're lucky to get even a solenoid. I was working on one in a boat and couldn't even get a drive. Maybe we get the internet starter and change it on speculation...

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    ok, thx for reply, will not need to post back, and there must be a starter relay, I would be surprised if not. Will check wiring for your cuz I am curious, I think in these models they call them power relays. :idea: http://www.emergingent.com/Images/2002sedona.gif I know not good year here but it is similar, have read on internet, when on your trip, bring a hammer or mallet to unstick it so not be left on side of road $.02

7. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Run a emergency-temporary small insulated wire from the small 12 volt contact on the solenoid up towards the pos. battery terminal. This gives you a way to bypass the Ign, switch, relay, neutral safety switch, etc. When it will not crank, touch the loose end of the wire to the pos bat post. If the starter cranks you have a problem with Ign, switch, relay, neutral safety switch, etc. If it does not, you have a solenoid or starter problem.

I just leave that wire permanently attached, so if I ever get stuck, I have a better chance of starting the car since all the other stuff is by-passed. Be sure to cover the end of the wire with insulating material when it is not in use.

Jack

8. jd

jd Hero Member

That sounds like a plan, Jack. Do you happen to know the wire color and/or harness it's in, approaching the Starter? I located the starter but couldn't see the connections. Thinking I could probe a connector and get it to crank. Today, of course, behaving just like it should. Cranks every time.

9. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Looks like the terminal Jack refers to would be the one that clicks into the "square hole" on the solenoid.
    [​IMG]
    Down here at the bottom of picture...has a little red whatzit ^ on the side.

10. jd

jd Hero Member

Apparently there's only one wire to the starter, that connection. It's just that the way the starter's installed, I can't get a look at the connector. I didn't get very far trying to trace the harness either.

I like the warning DO NOT STRIKE WITH HAMMER. We should all wear one!

11. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Sorry, I have no idea what the color of the wire is. It was just a generic suggestion.

12. jd

jd Hero Member

Thanks, I thought you had one of those vehicles. I'll try to find the wire or find out the color and tap into it where I can access is with the starter on. I also want to check and see if there's a relay in the circuit too.

13. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Can someone please post a schematic for jd?

14. jd

jd Hero Member

The Kia was out of town then I was. Looked at it again today. It has a relay that's got to be powering the starter solenoid. Under the name "Start Relay" on the label inside the underhood fuse/relay box. It appears to be a "Bosch Relay", about a 1" cube, just gray instead of the usual black and labeled "Korea."

[​IMG]

I think what I need now is wiring colors to the following standard Bosch Relay Terminals:

#30 - Incoming 12VDC Power (is this Always Hot, or is it switched/fused somewhere?)

#87 - Power to Starter Solenoid (connection to #30 when Relay is energized, a "normally open" contact)

#86 - Trigger Power to Relay Coil (powered when Ignition Key turned to START)

#85 - Relay Coil Ground (probably straight to vehicle frame/body)

#87A - Power to ??? when Relay Coil NOT energized (Key NOT in START) probably not used in this application

Can somebody provide confirmation of this analysis? I don't want to go probing somebody else's vehicle till I'm pretty sure that:

1. I should find #30 either A. Always Hot, or B. Hot when Key is in RUN.

2. Jumping #30 to #87 should cause the Starter to Crank

The relay image above is generic from the WEB. Actual Wiring Colors would be a big help.

THANKS!!!

15. kev2

kev2 wrench

JD I am sorry its late - cant understand complex thoughts to unscramble your post (thank you Jack) , attached is the wiring diagram for the vehicle - should explain your system - In the AM I will check on you

Attached Files: