2007 Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible.

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by NoSweatAmerica, Aug 2, 2014.

1. NoSweatAmerica

NoSweatAmerica Newbie

Please let me know if you can help us with this:
    2007 PONTIAC G6 HardTop Convertible:

I need some information. We are not sure this part number is correct. (25887153) And, some people call it the Convertible Latch Cover. Regardless it broke during transitions from top down to top up. When the top came up it appears to have grabbed this latch cover and broke off the hinges. The Top (fortunately) did continue to the” latch and secure” position - or I would not have been able to drive the car. It is however a safety issue as it now blocks my back window. No One seems to want to remove it because there are tiny wires that are attached to it. Everyone seems to be afraid that, un- connecting or cutting the wires, may cause the top to reopen and we would not be able to get it back closed. So Far I have had No Help From General Motors (other than to say they no longer have the part available)
    Do YOU have any thought what to do?
    Joe Watson,
    joewatsoninc@Comcast.net
    941 9665527

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Hi, this is not my writing;

Part information

This is panel for Pontiac cars. This panel is applied in 1 General Motors models for US market since till . This part is genuine General Motors part with GM OEM-code 25887153.

This panel has manufacturer warranty and 100% compatible for General Motors cars. Panel is made of top quality materials, it passed not only all manufacturer tests but also General Motors quality control, and has to endure rough road conditions over a long time.

In spite of higher price of genuine parts buying GM genuine panel will be a smart decision, because you will be absolutely sure that GM genuine panel will serve you longer and will provide maximum safety and performance.

Folding top stowage compartment front outer closeout (center tonneau panel with close-out seal)

Your writing 8)
    When the top came up it appears to have grabbed this latch cover and broke off the hinges

Can you show us a picture of what broke??

I have fixed lot's of these, here is a link that may help us help you, show us what broke, cuz replacing the hole panel, in my as$hole opinion, cuz everyone has one may not help. You will spend $$ for nothing and it may be a 2$ part. :idea:
    http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=405596&ukey_make=1030&ukey_model=14639&modelYear=2007&ukey_category=19394

3. NoSweatAmerica

NoSweatAmerica Newbie

Hi, Nick/B
    I just tried to call the Parts Manager at the link you sent me. They too are saying the same thing. General Motors discontinued this part and there in not any available. "Guy said I could make a million dollars from the amount of people complaining the same as you. They cannot get any satisfaction from GM."

If you have any other ideas on this part that would be wonderful.

In the meantime has anyone of your readers started a class action lawsuit on GM for abandoning their obligation to help keep one of their cars running!

Hope to talk with you soon.

Joe Watson joewatsoninc@comcast.net 941 9665527

4. Gus

Gus wrench

Not sure, but wasn't it a federal law that automakers had to have parts for their vehicles for at least 10 years?

5. NickD

NickD wrench

Technology sure hasn't helped with the so-called proliferation of parts. Numerical controlled machines, computer aided design. Use to take highly skilled model makers months to make a die to bang out a fender. Today, put your CAD drawing into a machine, push a button, go home, and its done when you come back in the morning. Or weeks to lay out a new printed circuit board, computer does most of this in a few hours.

A voltage regulator is that for an alternator, in the early 80's was about eight different types that would cover about 90% of the market, at last count, that number increased to over 3,500 different types. Reason? With new technology, could be manufactured for $.02 cheaper. And with bean counters, was worth the extra engineering time, more money for the stockholders.

In the early 90's, each manufacturer had over 120 different PCM's, but yearly EPA requirements required yearly changes. Also with higher speed microprocessors, instead of making many modules, all combined into one. They styling, why should you trade in your three year old vehicle for one that looks exactly the same?

In 1927, took Henry Ford almost a full year to switch from the Model T to the A, no income for that year. And dealers darn near starved to death. For the longest time, manufacturers were only required to provide spare parts for five years, but was much longer than this, because most of the parts were the same. Now changing parts every five minutes. Major changes are to reduce assembly time resulting in even more throwaway parts. A unibody vehilce is a perfect example of a throwaway part, thus insurance rates increased drastically, so they get you one way or the other. And inventory has become a complete nightmare.

Used to take 20,000 individual pieces to make a vehicle, was really a major job just to get them to fit all together. And if a model was not a good seller, would try to bury it as soon as possible. Was told just seven years ago by my Ford dealer, they were only required to carry parts for five years. Have no idea where this ten year came from.

Use to be, you could buy all the parts cheaper than the completed item, because you had to do all the assembly. Today, with just a small handful of parts, cheaper to buy a new item. Not much is rebuildable, thousands of rebuilders were forced out of business. Then have idiots talking about recycling.

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    I know I am off topic, but the other nick is so right. I know this is not a rant and rave topic/thread, but I used to rebuild alternators on a dime, now you have to replace the whole unit :eek:

I have been in this trade for a while and only 39yrs old, but gosh, thing's are getting worse BY THE MINUTE.

My $.02

7. Gus

Gus wrench

You may have to start hunting in junkyards....

8. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    @gus, spoke to the op in person, he said no salvage yards in his region have anything, I even tried up here with old coworkers/part guys. Can't find anything.

This thread is so spread out it is getting confusing/frustrating. Maybe an admin can put this thread all into one, cuz it is on three different forums. :idea:

9. NickD

NickD wrench

What about this site?

http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/25887153.html

To give us an idea of what we are looking for.

[​IMG]

Is this the part you are looking for? Says its part # 1 on this diagram for GM part number 25887153

[​IMG]

Looks like a piece of plastic.

Price of steel and copper is so high now, wrecking yards are crusing cars as soon as they come in.

10. NoSweatAmerica

NoSweatAmerica Newbie

Nick D that part #10 looks like the brackets we are looking for. Do You know if they are available!
    [​IMG]

11. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Hey Joe, try these guy's, maybe they got something for your particular problem. http://autoplicity.com/

Still searching and no parts yet found. Frustrating. Once fixed a moon roof with six section folding glass on one of these similar bizarre pontiacs, that was a challenge, no one at the shop wanted to take it on. So I did. My friend Bruno at part counter had time for two coffee's searching before telling me it was sold a whole unit when I had removed whole headliner and rails just to find a screw busted, 30cent fix, unit was somewhere around 1600$ if memory serves right. What a farce. I was working directly for gm and he had access to prime info on parts. Crazy.

12. NoSweatAmerica

NoSweatAmerica Newbie

Nick B No Go with That one either.
    I am waiting for the answer from the gentleman JDavis@KingGeorgeAutoParts.com (you may want to contact him two mechanics talking to each other is better than me who knows little of Mechanical subjects)
    His name is John and He maybe correct.
    There are hundreds of suppliers of parts to GM who filed for bankruptcy while GM was getting help from Obama!
    They likely have the parts in their inventory - and will have to back door sell them - not to disrupt their bankruptcy position.
    Finding the manufacturer of that part - will be the hardest part. And Identifying the correct bracket number is the next hardest thing.

Got any ideas let me know.

Hope someone else has had this same issue with GM.

From what I am lead to believe is GM has told all its dealers to simply answer "General Motors said they cannot get this part any longer." Well if this gentleman is correct GM is telling a very big lie to cover their involvement in the Bankruptcy edict.

13. kev2

kev2 wrench

capitalism at work - used to be a law that parts were available for X years -
    But the corporate raiders won, the UAW and its contractors were cast aside for low cost low quality foreign made components.The management took all the gains that materialized, Screwing the middle class, the customers the government - game the system, - praise to wall street..

Just have to figure how this helps me.

14. NickD

NickD wrench

This drawing is from gmpartsdirect.com, just guessed at your engine size for your 2007 Pontiac G6.

[​IMG]

Little different than the other drawing. But practically all the parts are listed. Sure would help to see the car or at least a photo. Then like Nick said, maybe one broken screw caused this problem. If it is a screw, more likely a rivet. Don't ask me to recommend any mechanics around here either.

[ 1 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Front roof pnl
    front roof pnl

MSRP Online Price
    $543.17 $338.94

[ 2 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Front roof pnl bracket
    front roof pnl bracket Left
    PARTS: Part included with front roof panel.
    MSRP Online Price
    $4.79 $2.98

[ 2 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Front roof pnl bracket
    front roof pnl bracket Right
    PARTS: Part included with front roof panel.
    MSRP Online Price
    $4.79 $2.98

[ 3 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Side seal
    side seal Right

MSRP Online Price
    $159.63 $99.61

[ 3 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Side seal
    side seal Left

MSRP Online Price
    $134.98 $84.23

[ 4 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Side seal retainer
    side seal retainer Right

MSRP Online Price
    $78.23 $48.82

[ 4 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Side seal retainer
    side seal retainer Left

MSRP Online Price
    $101.50 $63.34

[ 5 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Guide
    guide Left

MSRP Online Price
    $18.68 $11.66

[ 5 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Guide
    guide Right

MSRP Online Price
    $18.68 $11.66

[ 6 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Rear roof pnl
    rear roof pnl

MSRP Online Price
    $490.13 $300.75

[ 7 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Rear roof pnl insulator
    rear roof pnl insulator
    PARTS: Part included with rear roof panel.
    MSRP Online Price
    $16.07 $10.03

[ 8 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Locator
    locator Left
    MSRP Online Price
    $35.87 $22.38

[ 8 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Locator
    locator Right
    MSRP Online Price
    $35.87 $22.38

[ 9 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Locator bushing
    locator bushing Left
    MSRP Online Price
    $13.16 $7.80

[ 9 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Locator bushing
    locator bushing Right
    MSRP Online Price
    $13.16 $7.80

[ 10 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Bracket
    bracket Left
    MSRP Online Price
    $5.56 $3.47

[ 10 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Bracket
    bracket Right
    MSRP Online Price
    $5.56 $3.47

[ 11 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Holder
    holder Left
    MSRP Online Price
    $5.90 $3.68

[ 11 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Holder
    holder Right
    MSRP Online Price
    $5.90 $3.68

[ 12 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Upper w'strip
    upper w'strip

MSRP Online Price
    $270.43 $168.75

[ 13 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Upper w'strip retainer
    upper w'strip retainer Right

MSRP Online Price
    $75.78 $47.29

[ 13 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Upper w'strip retainer
    upper w'strip retainer Left

MSRP Online Price
    $72.03 $44.95

[ 14 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Lower w'strip
    lower w'strip

MSRP Online Price
    $246.53 $153.84

[ 15 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Back glass
    back glass GM

MSRP Online Price
    $439.63 $274.33

[ 16 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Latch
    latch front Right

MSRP Online Price
    $48.84 $30.47

[ 16 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Latch
    latch front Left

MSRP Online Price
    $60.90 $38.00

[ 17 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Latch
    latch rear Left

MSRP Online Price
    $44.08 $27.51

[ 17 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Latch
    latch rear Right

MSRP Online Price
    $89.27 $55.70

[ 18 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Lock actuator
    lock actuator

MSRP Online Price
    $192.70 $120.24

[ 19 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Position sensor
    position sensor
    PARTS: Part included with Lock actuator.
    MSRP Online Price
    $66.22 $39.26

[ 20 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Release rod
    release rod
    PARTS: Part included with rear latch.
    MSRP Online Price
    $0.00 N/A

[ 21 ] BODY HARDWARE / RETRACTABLE TOP / TOP & COMPONENTS / Cylinder
    cylinder

MSRP Online Price
    $222.67 $138.94

15. NickD

NickD wrench

Just to point something out on this deal, if you can't repair it yourself. Our Chevy dealer that use to sell Pontiac's has two buildings. One for mechanical work other for body work.

Would not go into the mechanic section to have glass replaced or repair a bent fender, was the job for the body shop. The same applies to your top, this is body work.