2008 Ford Focus strange shifting....not again!

I had my 07 Focus bought back ultimately due to problems with the trans, almost seems unbelievable this can be happening to me. Trans shifts great, no slipping or anything like that. Problem is that sometimes it just won't shift. No CEL as of yet. At first I thought it may be some type of adaptive function of the trans because the gearing is very tall, but having lived with it now for 2700 miles I think it is safe to say it may be a problem. I asked the selling dealer about it, of course never heard of it and claimed they would look into it. I have not had the car in for this problem yet, as I have not been able to reproduce the problem consistantly. I can say that it happens at least a couple of times a day on my 82 mile round trip. When it does decide to not upshift, it will NOT upshift till you take your foot off the gas. It is drive by wire btw. I just want to know if I should push the issue, or wait for it to happen all the time. I had posted on focusfanatics.com and a Ford tech posted the tsb. Btw, there is a member on that board that is going thru the same BS that I had happen with my 07. Also, my 08 was built in 11/07.
FORD:
2008 Focus

ISSUE
Some 2008 Focus vehicles equipped with 4F27E automatic transaxle and built on or before 1/29/2008 may experience no 3rd or 4th gear. Possible diagnostic troubles codes (DTCs) P0733 and/or P0734. The cause may be a direct clutch snap ring out of position caused by the reverse clutch wave spring.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE 4F27E TRANSAXLES BUILT ON OR AFTER 1/30/2008 WILL BE BUILT WITH PREVIOUS LEVEL REVERSE CLUTCH PISTON AND NO WAVE SPRING.

Follow Workshop Manual, Section 307-01 to repair by doing the following:

^ Replace Direct Clutch Cylinder

^ Replace Direct Clutch Snap Ring (select fit)

^ Replace Rear Sun Gear

^ Replace Intermediate/Overdrive Drum

^ From the Reverse Clutch pack remove and discard the wave spring and do not reinstall the wave spring

^ Remove and discard Reverse Clutch Piston, replace piston with previous service level

^ Clean all reused parts

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Since it is still under warranty...PUSH the issue! Make them fix it! Please don't forget to keep a dairy as well as ALL paperwork everytime you return the vehicle to the dealer. Make sure you get written documentation EVERY TIME. Make sure they have written your complaint as well as what the did to find and/or correct the problem. The more documentation the better in case you need to invoke the lemon law as has been happening quite often with these vehicles. Good Luck and keep us posted on any results, Transman

Thanks for the post back Transman. I have not been able to get it back in yet as I have started a new part-time job(in addition to full time one). One wierd thing, and tell me if this even remotely makes sense. I now have 3000 miles on it, mostly highway driving. This is THE car they used to swap tires/rims with my 07 Focus when trying to diagnose the shaking problem(stupid Pirelli tires!!!). They parked it behind the service department in mid Feb and it sat there till I bought in July. Obviously the battery was flat. They put it on an overnight charge and all seemed well. The eye in the battery was red tho. I figured after I drove it back and forth to work for a few days it would turn green. Never did. This past w/e I checked the water level(it is servicable), and it was almost to the add. I topped it off with distilled water. Went to work, by time I got to work the trans was shifting better, and had continued to work since. I am totally confused because I have never seen this before, and was having no problems other than the delayed upshifting. The eye is green now also. I have a hard time believing this could even happen.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
This actually could have been the problem. Especially on later vehicles. They are VERY sensitive to battery/alternator issues and WILL cause all manner of problems. I will usually ask for the person to check the battery and have the alternator checked for "AC Ripple" as this is also a major cause of problems on newer vehicles. They need very clean power. The computer is dealing in milliamperes and does not like AC voltage being added to the mix. It is never a good idea to have the alternator recharge a battery, trickle charge works best and obviously filling a battery to the proper level helps also. Keep an eye on it and post back as changes happen, Transman