2008 Saturn Astra H (GM) 1.8 L automatic Z18xer baffling codes?

Make
GM SATURN ASTRA H
Model
Astra H
Year
Miles
Engine
1.8 gas

I recently got this Astra and Torque pro app gives me a P065E (intake manifold runner flappers)

Doing the youtube pedal test gives me a 1221 code?? (Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1- 2 Correlation)

I cleaned the MAF, Throttle body and replaced the EVAP PURGE solenoid (under bonnet valve}...

Can anyone enlighten me on the 1221 code and what the fix would be ??
At initial cold startup there is a little hesitation , but hardly noticable.... other than that car works fine.

Thanks

This Astra was built in Germany link to my VIN :

Make Saturn
Model Astra
Trim Level XE 5-Door
Manufactured in GERMANY
Production Seq. Number 083671
Body Style SEDAN 4-DR
Engine Type 1.8L L4 DOHC 16V
Transmission-short 4A | 5M
Transmission-long 4-Speed Automatic | 5-Speed Manual
Driveline FWD
Tank 12.20
Fuel Economy-city 24
Fuel Economy-highway 30 - 32
Anti-Brake System 4-Wheel ABS
Steering Type R&P​

Thanks everyone:)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hi, first you need to understand what IMR do and how they work in correlation to the throttle. You most certainly have huge amount of carbon deposits, which may have failed a few components, and also may have ruined the intake manifold runner actuator. In any case, I suspect you need to do a major combustion chamber cleaner in here.

Those codes will probably go away.

Btw, thanx for all the info about the car, basically, this is an opel/vauxhaul. Here is a picture of what I think is happening to your engine, the runner is stuck open, or a clip may have broken from the rod to actuator, throwing a false fly by wire code which you call TP sensor 1-2. I highly doubt the TP sensor went south, it is just rendering that code because the intake system is to carbonated up.

In this picture, you will see the actual runner, notice how gunked up it is.
Screenshot (206).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I used to work on these cars when working for GM, but the astra saturn model was different than the europe one. But the IMR runner was always a problem. On fords, the dual runners wouls fail in two places because of gummed up runners much like a throttle body that stick. Same principle.

Your car is running OK but you have noticed a difference. I suspect stuck open, hence car is running, if they would have stuck closed, different scenario than you describe.

I used to work on these cars when working for GM, but the astra saturn model was different than the europe one. But the IMR runner was always a problem. On fords, the dual runners wouls fail in two places because of gummed up runners much like a throttle body that stick. Same principle.

Your car is running OK but you have noticed a difference. I suspect stuck open, hence car is running, if they would have stuck closed, different scenario than you describe.

Thanks Nick :) your a great help ...
Deborah

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I don`t think I was much help, but if you got those codes, that means you have a code reader. Can you tell me which sort of code reader you are using. Because if you have one with IMR actuator control you can check.

But if you don`t, you can still jump the actuator to see if the IMR circuit is good. If the actuator works, that means the motor/actuator is still good, if you hear a grinding noise once jumped from the actuator, the plastic nylon gear is stripped, probably due to binding runner.

As you will see in the following link, and then I know your not a net robot, you will see that the IMRC and the fly by wire throttle are usually replaced at same time, but if you don't clean the admission/intake chamber, this problem WILL COME BACK.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-911-902-Intake-Manifold-Control/dp/B00H1JCXGC

I will try to find a good video on how to clean the intake system, I don't know what ppl use in germany, but VIC or seafoam is good for this sort of problem.

Ask your local parts shop for a combustion chamber cleaner.

That is the lazy part.

If you really want to fix it for another 120000km's, then pulling the intake and manually cleaning is your best bet. But I don't know your level of competence, so here is a link to VIC and seafoam products.

I am sure that germany has quite alot of expertise, so you should have no problem finding a similar product that might help to free the runner.

I really like this product.

http://www.wynnsusa.com/product/clean-sweep/

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The actual process of cleaning the intake is quite scary at first. There is a soak time you need to heed, then go give the car some shyte. You will actually see the carbon out the muffler, engine will throw a bunch of misfire codes, don't worry, drive it till you can feel it is running smooth.

I do not endorse this company, I just use as a every day product cuz it works.

Seafoam also, but it does not have a 3 step cycle.

In any case, try this first to free up the runner.

If that doesn't work, lurk on here, I will try to find a german schematic to jump the runner to help with the cleaning process as you probably don't have a bi directional scanner to actuate the fly by wire.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
It took me a while to find your flow chart for TP correlation code. Since this is a europe model, I cannot confirm veracity, but I think you meant P0121.

Looking at flow chart for P0121, as usual, it mentions to verify if any other DTC's are present and diagnose those first, which confirms what I wrote about this probably being a false flag code for the TP sensors 1-2.

The actual process of cleaning the intake is quite scary at first. There is a soak time you need to heed, then go give the car some shyte. You will actually see the carbon out the muffler, engine will throw a bunch of misfire codes, don't worry, drive it till you can feel it is running smooth.

If that doesn't work, lurk on here, I will try to find a german schematic to jump the runner to help with the cleaning process as you probably don't have a bi directional scanner to actuate the fly by wire.

Hi Nick , the pedal trick code ( the EU guy told me to do is Code 1221 .... torque pro gave me p065e?

Thanks Nick, please keep me posted on vids:) and schematics:)

Links to the EU vauxhall astra forum questions... not too much info Nick. att. pic is of back of engine to left of coolant recovery tank . No one answered me on that question..... I am in Saint John New Brunswick. My obd 2 wont jump the runner actuator? MUCH APPRECIATE ANY HELP NICK, THANKS
+

LINKS:
I have this code and a little research and pic (attached) leads me to believe a wiring harness is disconnected producing the error code(
ATT PIC???)
Does anyone know if this is causing my error? This is the only error showing through Torque Pro app... also has anyone deleted their runner swirl valves or cleaned them with success.?
Thanks

marks152Great Site Contributor
Messages:14,531Likes Received:4,062Location:liverpool, ukDrives:2004 corsa C z10xep
That code does not exist for this engine code. I think. Its a false code caused by torque.

Try the pedal trick and see what ecn codes come up In the mileage lcd.​

Hi Valer - US & Canadian Astra were only sold in 2008 & 2009.

They only had the z18xer but it is slightly modified due to emissions differences. And to put the steering wheel on the wrong side.

ValerWorn Out Member
Hi Saturn,Excellent,and the code does appear to be emissions related so it would explain why it doesn't appear on the EU versions​

Hi Marks152... finally got out tonite and did the pedal trick and dash showed a code 1221?
What would be the fix for 1221 code? Maybe P065E isn't applicable?
Thanks

Vauxhall Owners Network Forum & Club - Insignia | Antara | Mokka | Adam | Ampera | Vectra | Astra | Corsa | Signum | Zafira | Meriva | Tigra | Agila | Vivaro | VXR <vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk@vsobr.com>
9:58 AM (5 hours ago)
to me

Vauxhall Owners Network Forum & Club - Insignia | Antara | Mokka | Adam | Ampera | Vectra | Astra | Corsa | Signum | Zafira | Meriva | Tigra | Agila | Vivaro | VXR
CruzzieQ, marks152 replied to a thread you are watching at Vauxhall Owners Network Forum & Club - Insignia | Antara | Mokka | Adam | Ampera | Vectra | Astra | Corsa | Signum | Zafira | Meriva | Tigra | Agila | Vivaro | VXR .
[Astra Mk5/H] [04-09] - CODE P065E ASTRA H Z18XER??

Yes but the code still does not appear on the z18xer c

Attachments